Sherrie S
Sherrie S
  • Debary, FL
Asked on Jun 18, 2012

What are these useful for?

Sammi VincentiGabrielle FalkSue Kiene
+57

I have 3 of these that have been lying in the backyard for a long time. Now I want to paint them but I don't know why I bought them. What would you creative people do with them?
q what are these useful for, crafts, gardening, repurposing upcycling
  • Project Style, LLC

Hi Sherrie! Most gardeners use them for supporting tall plants or trailing vines. They could be placed in various areas where vertical interest was needed.

Sherrie, if clematis were happier in Florida those would be perfect. I have seen confederate jasmine used in all kinds of creative ways here in Italy, and could easily imagine sinking those in large pot and growing jasmine on them to bring that heavenly fragrance somewhere you can smell it.

• Lou B

I had a Jackmanii Clematis in a pot and used a trellis like this in the pot...It lived for years without any problems...unfortunately I forgot to water over the winter and it died.

• Erica Glasener

Climbing roses, the native cross vine, tall asters for fall, you can have lots of fun with these Tuteurs!

• Sherrie S

Lou B & Douglas Hunt solved my dilemma. Now I can envision something. The plant "thing" didn't appear tall enough for any vines but put into a large pot or on areas of my deck it can work really, really well. Thank you so much.

• Maria D. M

U could put a planter that fits at the bottom ring maybe a hanging plant. u could also try to hang a wind chime?

• Jan C

Put shelves in bottome and top. Use bottom to hold drinks, candles, etc., put potted plant on top shelf, or only bottom shelf and hang a plant from top point inside to color and decorate and use on your patio next to some reading chairs. Or bottom shelf, and light hanging from top middle.

• Lori J

I would definitely be using this as trellis. Probably after a very bright coat of spray paint.

• Mary G

Tomato plants or some climbing plant .. but they're cool!

• Jan P

I have the same thing - and it's used as a trellis!!

@Jan P: Wow, nice clematis.

• Sherrie S

Jan, that is one really pretty plant. I like that look. Douglas will that plant grow in Florida? Anything colorful like it that can tolerate Florida heat/sun.

• Becky H

How about mandevilla? (Not sure I spelled that correctly.)

• Sherrie S

Becky H, great idea I really love those plants. I could take that sort of trellis thing I have and put it close to the pergola to start the plants reach for the sky. Seems to me they grow quite tall.

• Susan S

Well Sherrie - since you have 3, I'd be more than happy to take one of 'em off your hands!! Just sayin . . . . Actually I have a Hoya plant I had my husband move to our front porch in hopes that getting some westerly sun exposure it might FINALLY decide to bloom for me. It's huge and it's from my Mom's parent plant. Hers had gobs of beautiful pink clusters of blossoms but mine - nada :~ ( Probably needs a trellis it can climb all over!!!

@ Sherrie: I doubt that clematis would be happy in our climate. If you want something showy and tropical-looking, have you thought about a gloriosa lily?

• Lori J

I like similar structures around tall perennials. I have two around catnip, which has grown up and through. Catnip, which some hate but I quite like in a cottage garden--even if I get after it pretty constantly to stay put) tends to be ranging, but the support helps it remain upright.

• Erica Glasener

Sherrie, Douglas makes a great suggestion with the Gloriosa lily. It is beautiful and will do well in your region. Here's a link with photos of what it looks like. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gloriosa+lily&qpvt=gloriosa+lily&FORM=IGRE

• Vicki

solar lights for night view to admire.

• Sherrie S

Douglas H & Erica G, thank you. That lily is beautiful. I'm ready to paint the plant holders this week. I'm so pleased with the help I have received. Susan S, sorry I'm waiting to see how you care for other other things first. No further comment at this time.

• Susan S

Testing, one two three!!! I hear ya!!! ;~)

@Sherrie: We'll look forward to a photo update when you get those painted and planted.

• Sherrie S

Douglas H, the "things" have a bit of rust so I will use a Rust Converter Primer Sealer that I apply before painting. You only need to remove LARGE pieces of rust with a brush or sandpaper. It really works like magic. Susan S, watch for your mailman today!

• Kathy C

Tomato plants would like this.

• Debbie

This is a tomato climber. Put it over tomato plants. You can also use them for cucumbers, beans or squash. Probably other things also. They are very cool and expensive also.

• TERRY F

@30 results are available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate.Sherry SThese things are called Obelisks. I have 2 "Obelisks" that I use as an entry way to a small pond area. I planted the brown-eyed susan vine to grow and around and they are very eye-catching. No matter where you put them the vines that you choose will will help make a very showy statement in your yard/garden.

• Susie Moore

Paint them with rustle um in a metal colour. Group them about 2 1/2 feet apart in a triangle pattern. Inside plant or set pots of some climbing plants.like morning glories.

• Linda Fraser

I would plant a climbing rose bush under it and train it to climb it. It would be beautiful. I would also paint it white so the roses would really stand out

• Pat880866

Morning glories, clematis, any climber!

• Kathy Spaulding

I would paint them and then plant any kind of vining or climbing flower on it....morning glories, clematis and the like... or you could even hang an eye-catching bird feeder or wind chime in the center and then plant flowers around the base...

• Diane Hollenbeck

i am looking for some of those do you know were i can get them

• Sherrie S

@Diane Hollenbeck they have been here for years & years so I've forgotten where I bought them.

• Lizannnicki

omg lol ,i really got a kickout of this - shouldve askd diane what she was using it for

• Sherrie S

@Lizannnicki it doesn't matter what @Diane Hollenbeck is using it for because I only wanted to help her find it but couldn't remember where I bought it.

• KayDeOH

It might make a sturdy tomato cage or a pole for beans.

• Cheryl Rye

I use mine like this as a decorative item in my flower gardens. Spray each one a pretty color and put them in your gardens.

• Judithcausey

Clematis (use 2 in contrasting colors), mandevilla, climbing roses. Anything beautiful that vines or climbs

• Sherrie Slaboda

I read a lot of great ideas but I have mandevillas that are over 6' high and as least as wide. I still think the idea of a climbing plant is really good. It is about time I do something and find the right size plant.

• Pastora sans

Sherrie you can used by putting floor tiles in each section and another one in the button and have three different types of plant.I have it in my garden and it look beautiful.

• Sherrie Slaboda

Thank you @Pastora sans and Judith Causey.

• Carol

I have several of these in my garden. I place them over my large rose plants which then gives support to the branches. I painted mine black. I also used one this year for a climbing vine which has large pink blossoms. It looked very smart.

• Connie Eggen

They will work in large pot to contain plant spread or to support tall or vining plants. Painted in bright colors, they could add interest if place in amongst the plants. Wish I had them in my yard.

• Sherrie S

@Connie Eggen thank you. I received so many great answers and I have painted all of them. They will be used this year.

• Ble5371840

I WOULD TRY TO PUT THEM TOGETHER & MAKE A YARD SCULPTURE

• Belinda de Kock

you could cover it up with fake foliage and put a string of lights through it and put each one on either side by your front door the fake foliage have to be dense to give it a good look and would be good on a string like fake ivy will be great.

• Sherrie Slaboda

Belinda de Kock I do like your idea because I bought solar lights that are flower shaped and it would look great. I couldn't decide what to do with them until I read your post.

• Lori

I don't know what they are either but I would have bought them for sure. I too would paint them black and use in the garden as Carol said. To be honest I think there is a name for them, something like Obliske or something, although they are usually stone I think. I could be totally wrong. :)

• Danna Nickoson

Great for winter interest

• Sherrie S

I found your post interesting and want to know more about Winter. We have very little winter in Florida but things change and that is why I am asking you for more feedback Danna. Using things year round is great.

• Dru2396556

I agree about the light suggestion but then put them in strateget spots in the garden beds. You could also use the circle part as a support for large plants like peonies. It would be beautiful in the day and night. Regards Iona

• Sherrie S

I have the perfect Red holder for a plant. I've used the others outside to hold up flowering plants but you can't really see much of the holders. See red one on pic below . I have solar flower shaped lights just thrown on it. I'll do better once I move it outside. Hopefully today.

• Bj

They are plant trellis, paint it with a rustoleum spray paint comes in all colors. bronze would be beautiful. Put a running rose bush . A solar lift from the middle it well be gorgeous.

• Sue Kiene

Trellis for some type of vines from the bottom and can hang some type of wind chimes in the middle from top or even a good place to hang a hummer feeder. I can see peony bushes growing up thru it or several of my large clumps of lilies that are long lasting. One last thought 3 trailing planters, one tight to the top and make holders at the 2 lower levels for the other 2.

• Gabrielle Falk

Good for staking vegetables, like tomatoes when they start to grow maybe, or some other plant that needs 'staking'.

• Sammi Vincenti

These are very nice plant supports. Great for tomatoes, but generally are used (at least in English gardens) for clematis support. The ones you have are lovely and quite expensive if you were to buy them new. I have only one, but it gets used for cucumber support to keep the cukes off the ground. Enjoy!