Asked 5 days ago

How do I tint the inside of a glass light fixture?

Debi53ReenarocC
+19

Currently the light produces too much glare and a tint would soften the lighting. I am thinking of a window film but open to suggestions.

q how do i tint the inside of a glass light fixture
  • You might want to try sea glass spray paint. Try it on an empty jar or something like that before you commit to it on your fixture.

• Dennis Bell

Rather than a frosted look could I get an amber tint transparent look? I actually would test out both if I could?? Thoughts?

• Debker

Hi Dennis, you can buy a spry frosting that would look great on these clear shades

• You could also try a glass paint too, much like a stained glass transparent color.

• Dennis Bell

What I am after is an amber tint transparent look!

• Flipturn

It may be easier to achieve the desired look simply by changing the present lightbulbs to ones with amber glass.

• Sal3170064

Alcohol inks would probably be the answer. You can get yellows or a ombre one. You only need small amount and some rubbing alcohol. Try on a glass jar first. I've used these on glass and they work well.

• Slimm

As a retired window tinter I would suggest using some light bronze (35%-50%) window film. It should be applied to the outside of the glass and after drying would look great.

If in the end, the result doesn't satisfy you then it is a simple matter of peeling it off and using some ammonia based window cleaner or an ammonia/water mixture to remove any leftover adhesive that may remain.

• Dennis Bell

It would look better if applied to the inside however I was thinking that would be a difficult process to smooth it out and also not show a seam or gap..

• Barbara

I would change the lightbulb to an amber glow Edison bulb

• Anne Coppes

I've used the rustoleum glass spray paint - but watch out for drips - you can also get color-changing light bulbs.

• Kathy miro

How about some pretty lace or line the inside with pretty doilies or a pot of diluted paint then keep dipping till you get what you want you could even spong the inside with your hand and a small spong and make the color light

• Terri

Unicorn Spit.

• BikerSue

Martha Stewart Glass Paint from the craft store

• C

I took Elmer’s glue and food color. I mixed them to the consistency I wanted in a cereal bowl. Then I used a wide cheap kids paint brush and got to it. Loved the out come. Changed my color from a brownish orange to green.

• Reenaroc

Take the shades off and bring them to a professional etcher. Have them done ever so lightly so that you can still see your cool bulbs. Or I think I saw a technique on here somewhere (do a google search) for doing it yourself. You are getting a lot of good ideas on here. Good Luck. (If all else fails, sell those and get different ones).

• Debi53
    31 minutes ago

Have you considered a lower wattage bulb? Maybe the wattage is too high and causing the glare?