Kitchen Helper Stand For Less Than $20

$20
Our Grandson loves to "help" in the kitchen. I found Activity Towers or Learning Towers new online for $120-$200 - too much! I found some homemade ones using a Bekvam step stool from Ikea. The stool costs $15 then there would be shipping because the closest one of us is 2 hours away - too much! Talked it over with my husband and we used an old wooden TV tray, part of an old Bookshelf, and other scrap wood to make it less costly,very stable, and it weighs about 12 pounds. It also doubles as an adult stool!
This is a picture of all the wood you will need:
4 – 1x4’s 36” Long
2 – 1x4’s 11” Long
2 – 1x4’s 10and1/2” Long
1 – 19x8x1 (we used a recycled shelf)
1 – 19x14and1/2 (we used an old wooden TV tray)
1 – 2x2x8 – cut two 16 and ½“pieces and two 8” pieces
1 – 5/8” wooden dowel Cut to 21 ½” long
You will also need these items:
Drill
Phillips Bit
5/8” Boring Bit
Chop or Circular Saw
Sander (a palm sander is good – or sand paper and elbow grease)
Jig Saw
Tape Measure
#8 one and a half inch wood screws (you have to buy a box of these for about $5 each box)
#8 two inch wood screws (box)
#8 two and a half inch wood screws (box)
1 Can Krylon Primer
2 Cans Krylon Sea Glass Satin Finish Spray Paint
It takes several steps and more pictures than allowed on Hometalk so for the complete instructions, you will need to click on the URL below.
He loves it! His mom and dad love that they can turn it around and sit on it while playing with him at his Little Tikes table, instead of sitting on the floor!
It comes together pretty fast!
In fact, it only took him 2 hours to build but most of the afternoon to paint due to in between drying times - you can do this too!
Kitchen Kelli

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

4 of 12 comments
Next