How can I get wallpaper sizing off in order to paint it?

+7

I removed 2 layers of old wallpaper, but streaks of sizing remain on the drywall making it lumpy and it will look awful if I paint it like this.

• Charlene F Freeman James Charlene F Freeman James on Mar 18, 2019

Im working to remove wall paper in a 1920s house. I used a steamer on parts and when a mixture of 1/2 fabric softener and water. Let sit 30 minutes and drag a putting knift across to remove old build up and / or paper backing. If you run into unsmooth walls a painter taught me about plumbers caulking. Put it on the putty knift and drag over the indentations it fills everything in nicely. I was able to paint a short time later.

• William William on Mar 18, 2019

Wash it off with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hot water. May need to scrape off with a putty knife.

• Dee Dee on Mar 18, 2019

Use fabric softener and water, spray on wall. Let sit about a half an hour then use a scraper to take off the sizing. Works like a charm.

• Shari Fryrear Shari Fryrear on Mar 18, 2019

I would use vinegar half and half. If that doesn't work check WalMart they have lots of products for wall paper removal

• Trish Townsend Trish Townsend on Mar 18, 2019

Use fabric softener and water I've done it many a Time