Jerry
Jerry
Asked on Mar 21, 2019

How to stop rugs from sliding?

MeJerryAmanda
+6

I have just refinished my oak floors and will be putting throw rugs down in a couple of days. They will be VERY slippery and I would like to use something on the back of the rugs to prevent them from sliding without doing damage to the floors. Those rubber mats concern me because they may leave marks on the floor over time. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

q how to stop rugs from sliding
  • Pjo26908388

Perhaps a fiber type of rug pad under the rugs. A rug store will cut them to size.

• Judi

You can try hot glue, turn your rug over and make a few squiggly lines across your rug, let dry then turn back over.

• Jerry

You don't think that will mark the floors over a period of time?

• Oliva

I'd be cautious about glue or any fiber that could leave a mark, particularly as people walk over the rug, adding to the impact of these items against the flooring. Too much work to repeat the effort.

Have you consulted a flooring specialist re: a floor sealer top coat that might provide better traction?

Hi Jerry: Here's a site that talks about a product called Rug Lock. It seems to be safe for your floor. Give it a peek and see what you think: https://rainonatinroof.com/how-to-keep-rugs-from-sliding/

Good luck

• Amanda

Hello. I have tried a lot of things for rugs. I am also worried that the floors will get ruined. I found a few rugs that have a backing just like the mats and stayed in place great without damaging the floor. Keep your eyes open for these types.

• Jerry

Thank you to all who replied. I have found a nonskid rug pad at Wally World which I think I shall try. It first a 4 x 6 rug and is made of polyester scrim coated with pvc. If I am not happy with that I will try the Rug Lock. Thanks again.

• Me

Spend less time fretting about the appearance of your things, including your house, and more time living in / with them.