Asked on Mar 21, 2019

How do I get rid of a smell in my closet?

JanetOlivaWanda
+7

My closet stinks tried everything how do I de-stink and it will work?

• Wash the walls and ceiling with a vinegar water solution. If you have carpet in there, sprinkle with baking soda and leave overnight, then vacuum up. Smell all your clothes and see if you can find an item or two that might be the culprit. Not to long ago I attended an event and I sat by a bunch of stogie smokers. My clothes reeked when I returned home. I don't mind pipe or cigar smoke, but it does make your clothes smell. I left the windows down in the car overnight, and washed what I was wearing and kept quarantined so they did not stink up my closet.

• Kelli L. Milligan
    Kelli L. Milligan

Have you washed everything down and repainted? Stinks from What? Is it carpeted? May need to remove that.

• Wanda
    Wanda

If the closet has a wall off a bathroom it could have had a leak and smell because of water damage. Pull back carpet or piece of floor covering to have a look. Ir it has an access hole in the ceiling look up there. Rodent droppings could be the cause of the smell.

• Oliva
    Oliva

Try ripping out carpeting. Padding may be rotted, as well.

Vacuum.

Scrub all floor and wall surfaces.

Use Odo Ban to wipe down walls, after cleaning.

Place containers of baking soda in closet.

Check for entry points of insects, rodents and fill these spaces.

If there's an attic above this closet, check there for evidence of rodents, as well.

• Janet
    Janet

No pests, new carpet or 6 yrs old nothing in it but clothes and shoes. No

md, no drips. Have tried baking soda, vinegar. Just about anything and everything. Hope I don’t have to repaint walls. That will be last resort. Thanks