Asked on Apr 10, 2019

What is the best way to organize and deodorize your closet?

MEGTwyla J BoyerCindy
+2

I have a walk in closet but to make my shoes accessible i have a shoe box organizer but i find myself having to step over them to reach the back of the closet and my clothes. I have tried different approaches. Also, with shoes in the closet how do you stop the smell from getting into your clothes? Any suggestions?

• Tinyshoes

Julia...I might try baking soda in shoes &/or use plastic containers

• My shoes are in boxes on the upper shelves in my closet. Give you more floor space. I air out the shoes overnight before placing back in the closet. I also have bay leaves and fresh lavender in the closet too. Oh and cedar blocks too. I swapped out all the hangers to the same brand. I use the huggable hangers by Joy Mangano. Purge you closet a couple times a year to donate items you no longer wear.

• Cindy

Hi Julia. When I buy my bars of soap, I upwrap them and put them in my closet. They keep my entire closet smelling good. When I need a new bar of soap, I just go in my closet and get one. Works great. You could also put drier sheets in your shoes to keep them fresh.

• Twyla J Boyer

For shoes, make fabric bags full of the crystal kind of kitty litter. It should absorb both moisture and odors. Add a scented dryer sheet if they are still aromatic.

Another option that is generally a pretty good idea for any closet with wool in it (sweaters, coats, scarves, blankets, yarn, etc.) it to either get pieces of cedar wood or cedar shavings (like for hamster bedding) and put it in nylon knee highs or in tube socks and hang those from the closet rod or place them in corners. It means everything will have a slight cedar smell, but it is a pleasant smell and deters moths.

• MEG

I use a boot tray to organize my shoes and put them up off the floor on a shelf so I can see and have access to them. declutter your closet and donate clothes you no longer wear. a tea bag in a shoe will absorb odors. You can out sachets in the closets to smell nice.