A DIY Theater For a Toy Room

$75

It seems our 6 year old grandson was tired of getting in trouble when using a little table in the toy room as a makeshift stage so he asked us to make him one for his performances.

He was very specific on what he wanted. He needed a big stage, curtains for the sides and front and the background should be clouds.

a diy theater for a toy room

It just so happened the neighbors were throwing out some pallets and an idea was born.

First, the stage. We used two pallets that were about 36 1/2 x 43 inches. We added legs from the third pallet to give the stage a little height.

a diy theater for a toy room
Pallets are approximately 36 1/2” x 43”
Pallets are approximately 36 1/2” x 43”

We bought 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4” chipboard for approximately $10, screwed them to the top of the pallets for the stage floor.

Stain was Varathane Dark Walnut Stain and Poly. This stain is $15 a quart, but we didn’t factor that into the cost as it took very little to paint on 2 coats and we use this all the time so I would say the cost was negligible for the stain.

Adding legs from the third pallet.
Adding legs from the third pallet.
a diy theater for a toy room
a diy theater for a toy room
a diy theater for a toy room

We bought PVC pipe and connectors to create a frame around the stage, which was now approximately 43" x 73". The cost was approximately $40. We wired the frame to the ceiling.

PopPop’s buddy had to help.
PopPop’s buddy had to help.
a diy theater for a toy room

Curtain time:

Goodwill: I found a set of curtains for the front and a king size sheet (I cut it in half) for the sides. Ben requested clouds for the background and I actually found a sheet there with clouds. He hugged the sheet when he saw it. I had to cut two sections to make the sky go across the back.

I used iron on fusing for the hems and the casing on the background. I also found two kid guitars there. The price for all of that was approximately $19.

Dollar Tree: No stage would be complete without spotlights so bought 4 led battery stick on lights and batteries. $6

a diy theater for a toy room

The theater ended up being an early birthday present as it cost around $75. But it will be hours of fun for him, his brother, and friends.

We had to go home before he and his brother got to see it but his mom sent videos of them and friends enjoying it. I compiled them into one video. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Please visit my blog post to view the video. It is priceless. :)

https://sharsumpaint.com/2019/04/12/diy-theater-stage/

I am pretty sure The Sumner Theater is a hit and will provide hours of enjoyment.

a diy theater for a toy room
a diy theater for a toy room
a diy theater for a toy room

Sharon Strothcamp Sumner

• Mel

Best Grandparents ever! Instructions easy to understand and follow. Loved the video. Your Grandson and friends will have lots of fun with this.

• Elizabeth Terrazas

You guys are awesome grandparents! I'm sure your grandson is going to put on a lot of performances for you🙂