Lynn
Lynn
Asked on Apr 17, 2019

What paint do I use for non-wood cupboards?

A.V. Does WhatAliceLynn
+8

• Annie

What are you cupboards made of? If metal, there are specific paints you can use. Your home center will know the right kind to use.

• Everything Pretty

What are they made of?

• Jessica VanderVeen

It depends what they're made of, but pretty much anything can be painted with the proper prep work and a good primer

• Nan W.

Lynn: I painted my laminate cabinets (from the 70s) and they look great and have held up so well!

Clean, remove hardware/hinges (for a professional look) Prime! and then two coats of GOOD latex. Treat the doors nicely for about a month as the paint "cures"

Here is the "after" photo...

• Lynn

Thanks Nan,

• Lynn

Thank you Annie, I got my answer!

• Alice

How to Redo a Fake Wood Cabinet Surface

It helps to lightly sand the surface first, although you can find bonding primers designed for surfaces that can't be sanded. Allow the bonding primer to cure completely before applying the first coat of paint. Use a latex or oil-based paint with a glossy or semigloss finish.

• A.V. Does What

You can use chalk paint. No sanding or priming required. Just make sure it is cleaned well before you paint it.