Sandy
Sandy
Asked on Apr 20, 2019

How do I stop the incursion of weeds into my perennial flower beds?

WilliamCheryl ABetsy
+1

I have extensive perennial flower beds, and weeds, invasive and otherwise, from taking root, and spreading? What types of plant should I install in these beds to discourage weeds. How close do I need to plant these additions? Is there a ground cover that I can use? And if so, what is it and where would I get it. I live on Vancouver Island BC, which has a temperate rainforest type climate.

• One option would be to use landscape fabric and cover with mulch. There are many types of easy to maintain ground covers, see what your local nursery has to offer. I am partial to creeping thyme.

Hi Sandy: Any ground cover will be very invasive and take over any area it can. It can be worse than weeds in some cases. If you don't want weeds, you can put down something like Preen or a pre-emergent weed killer that is o.k. around plants. A thick covering of mulch would also help, but a ground cover is just what it says, it covers the ground and everything else it sees:) Good luck

Naomie has got it. Lay down landscape fabric in the flower beds. Two to three inches of mulch will prevent weeds. Cut openings for your plants in the landscape fabric.