Kathy
Kathy
  • Yakima, WA
Asked on Apr 20, 2019

How do I paint furniture the right way?

BethWilliamLynn Sorrell
+4

When I paint furniture I always prime first, do I have to prime everything to get a good finish?

• Jodi Murray Hendon

Try chalk paint. You don't have to prime first. Youtube has dozens of chalk paint techniques and ideas. Here's a picture of an old buffet that I chalk-painted. Other than making sure everything was clean, I didn't do any priming, even around the bottom where the wood was new. (All the bottom panels had rotted.) This is Paris Grey with dark and light wax.

q how do i paint furniture the right way
    • Jodi Murray Hendon

Thank you! That buffet was in my grandparents' house from the late 40s/early 50s. Not an antique, just old. The top is granite, not painted, so I don't have to worry too much about heat or dampness from food or drinks.

• Kelli L. Milligan

You really should.

• Lynn Sorrell

the prepping even before priming is the key. The shinier the finish the more prep. needed. Sanding and filling scratches then priming then painting then sealing. Especially if you want a lasting finish/job well done. Even with chalk paint.

Primer will make the final color more true and vibrant.

• Beth

I like this tutorial for painting upholstery. She doesn't prime it, but she does mix the paint with a fabric medium. And she shows the chair five years later. It still looks good!

https://www.11magnolialane.com/tutorial-how-to-paint-upholstery-fabric-and-completely-transform-a-chair/