How do I make a bathroom vanity fit better?

+5

We are installing a new bathroom vanity in our half bath. The walls are not square so it doesn't fit snug. I am worried about water and the gap. Any ideas?

q making bathroom vanity fit better
q making bathroom vanity fit better
q making bathroom vanity fit better

There is a full baseboard. Notch it? Or add tile trim to sink?

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on May 05, 2019

Notch the baseboard for sure. Plus you can add decorative tiles for backsplash.

• Betsy Betsy on May 05, 2019

Hi Pam: You can put backer rod (it's foam that looks like a pipe and is flexible and comes in different thicknesses) in the gap and then caulk around it. Have a cup of water handy so you can wet your finger and smooth the caulk out. It's easier to do with a wet finger. Good luck

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on May 05, 2019

I would use silicone caulk to seal the gap, and notching the overlapping edge could help with a smoother transition, as Kelli indicated.

• Caulk is your friend here, it’ll keep water and such out of the gap.

• GBK GBK on May 06, 2019

Unless you're a real pro at caulking, it could end up looking pretty bad with that much of a gap. I'd think about painted wood perimeter trim, with minimal caulking to seal the edges. Notch the baseboards, too.

• Lucy Marie Bernier Lucy Marie Bernier on May 06, 2019

Quarter round trimming to cover the gap. W/ waterproof caulking top and bottom.

• Gk Gk on May 06, 2019

You can carefully remove that baseboard and cut it to fit tight against the side of the vanity. I don't think you'd really need it under/behind the vanity.

• William William on May 06, 2019

I agree with Kelli and Gk. Remove the baseboard behind and side so the vanity sits more flush against the wall then you can caulk the small gap. I also suggest a backsplash. Anything else would look off and sloppy.