Wendy
Wendy
  • San Jose, CA
Asked on Jun 2, 2019

What type of paint would you suggest to paint the wood trim?

MogieEmilyJohnavallance82
+3

What type of paint would you suggest to paint the wood trim of this side table? I will be painting it black not sure if I use chalk paint with wax sealer or if I should sand it down then spray paint?

q what type of paint would you suggest to paint the wood trim
  • Kelli L. Milligan

For the most durable finish use oil based primer and paint. Spray painting it will give it a more furniture finish. Chalk paint, I find doesn't go totally black. Lightly sand off sheen, wash down with TSP. Prime, lightly sand again, then spray paint.

• Charlie Clayton

Pretty wood. I would enhance it with a wood conditioner/ protectant to bring out its beauty. Such as a Linseed Oil, Mineral Oil or a Beeswax furniture polish—non toxic too.

Polyurethane is a great protector and Wood Sealer and is non toxic when completely dry. It comes clear or with many tinted options. Good luck.

• Valleycat1

There are black stains, to give you the color you want but keep the wood grain. Follow standard instructions for sanding to bare wood, applying and re-sanding. If concerned about durability you could top coat with clear polyurethane.

• Johnavallance82

Hello there.

Why not just Varnish it instead of paint. You can also buy Wood stains from the Fencing department - Lots of colours including White!

• Emily

although I can't be sure it looks like that is a burled wood. I would hesitate to paint it, if it is burled it is valuable.

• Mogie

I wouldn't paint the wood. Just stain it. A nice black stain would give you some color but still let the beautiful wood texture show through. Part of the charm of that piece is the wood grain showing thru. That keep it organic looking.