Asked on Jun 15, 2019

What color is good for a small living room - I don't want gray?

Peggy BurnetteGkCindy
+2

• Kelli L. Milligan

Pick your color from your fabrics and patterns in the room. Size isn't a such of an issue as continuity.

• Shore grandmom

I don't blame you, I find grey depressing. Just about any light color is fine for a small room. I like a light aqua color, I think it's relaxing, beachy and cozy. You should pick a color that you like. If you plan to paint, go to the paint store, get sample cards of colors you like and grab a few out of the box colors (you never know). Tape them on the walls, check them at different times of day and different kinds of weather taking notice to each color. Eliminate the colors until you have a few. Go to the paint store, get sample pints, paint spots of each color on the walls and do the same thing you did with the color cards until you find the one that makes you happy.

• Cindy

Hi Yolanda. I painted our living room and hallway. I used Sherwin Williams Mushroom. I love the color. And I painted the trim and window sills white. These two colors together gives a timeless look. So I recommend these colors for you. Good luck Yolanda.

• Gk

Hello Yolanda! I like soft blues and greens for my small living room that have a slight gray tint. They change with the light as the day passes and I don't ever think they look gray-to me they just look soft and homey. I never thought I would like gray but I do have some in my house. Very very subtle light shades of gray. I would choose a light color for a small room. I suggest that you look at paint swatches at your local home improvement stores and local paint stores that fall into the "neutral" category and narrow it down to the color family that really draws your attention and go from there. You can get some small sample jars to try for just a few dollars just to make sure before you do an entire room.

Lay your paint chips on a sheet of white copy paper--you can really see the hues better that way--especially if you are choosing from a variety of whites--some will look blue, some green, some brown, etc. Make sure you look at your paint chips at different times of the day too--in the room you are painting. The amount of light coming into the room will change as the day passes and make your paint color look different from morning to evening. It takes me about a week to decide on a paint color! I drive myself crazy looking!

• Peggy Burnette

Hi Yolanda, this is Peggy. You can get small jars of pint at your local hardware store. Paint an area, see how you like it (different in daylight and evening). What color is your furniture? What colors do you like? Hope this is helpful.