• Hometalker
  • Joelton, TN
Asked on Jun 23, 2019

How do I build an attached car port?



5 answers
  • Cheryl Williamsen
    on Jun 23, 2019

    Even if it was free standing, you’re going to need drawings & specifications- which are the basis of building permits.

    No one wants the liability of a structure that will be torn apart in heavy winds or falls down in 2 years after a heavy snow.

    You’ll need experienced and licensed/insured contractors, who can follow a set of construction documents “blueprints”.

    The Building Inspector will need to come inspect at 3 different times during this project. Foundation, framing and roofing.

  • Sharon
    on Jun 24, 2019

    Thanks for all of the info

  • Betsy
    on Jun 24, 2019

    Hi Sharon: Along with the above, if you are going to have someone else do this for you, please, do not pull the permit! Have them do it. If they don't want to, get someone else to do the work. The thing is, the person pulling the permit is saying to the city that they are doing the work and they are qualified to do it. If you pull the permit, you are saying that you are doing the work and, if something goes wrong, you won't have a leg to stand on in court or anywhere else, because you said you did it yourself, even if you didn't. And, insurance won't cover any damage caused by the carport if it fails because you did it and you're not qualified. So, please remember this for any project you anticipate having someone else do. It may cost a little more to have a professional do the work, but in the long run, it's better. Good luck whatever you do. And, you will need a permit! :)

  • Flipturn
    on Jun 27, 2019

    If you are hiring another person to do any work on your property (as opposed to diy entirely) be sure that you and the builder both sign a written contract for the job before any work is commenced, and before any money changes hands.

    Sample blank contracts can be found and printed out from the Internet.

    If this is not done, in the event that there is any defect in the outcome of the work or if the work is not completed properly, you will have no protection. You will not be able to take the builder to small claims court, as there was no contract, and no contractual agreement.

Your comment...