Lisa
Lisa
  • Newark, DE
Asked 8 days ago

Can a pool filter/pump be used by hanging the hoses over the side?

Robyn GarnerJan ClarkCarla Piatek

I know, seems dumb, but my daughter put together a small above ground pool and filled it before attaching the filter. When I was a kid, my mom hung the filter hoses over the side of our pools. Does anyone know if this would work temporarily? Thanks!

q can a pool filter pump be used by hanging the hoses over the side
  • Carla Piatek

Very temporarily because the closed pump/filter system must be maintained. If the pool is filled it must have come with plugs of some sort, right? Bite the bullet and quickly add each outlet/inlet & hoses. Two people could do this easily; keep the hose ends and pump/filter above the level of the inlet opening on the pool's sidewall to avoid gravity causing backfilling and overflowing of the water in the pool.

• Jan Clark

You can still attach the filter if you are careful and clever. Find a piece of strong plastic (I've used those heavy flexible kitchen cutting mats) and slide it against the inside of the pool at the inlet/outlet hole. Allow the pressure of the water to hold it against the side as you open the outlet and attach the hose(s). You'll probably get seepage but if you do it right and work fast, you should be able to get those hoses on and the pump working. The key is to have everything ready and in place before you open the outlets - practice a time or two before you actually do it - and work fast.

• Robyn Garner

For everything to work properly and the water to filter properly, empty the pool to the necessary level to install things where they are supposed to go. With the heat, the water will warm back up quickly.