How can I convert the garage to be a loft or studio apartment?

FlipturnSharonMogie
+5

We moved to a friend's garage and the place is bare. We have our own toilet and bath without exhaust. The garage has big window and a door. The shape of the garage is an L shape because of the toilet and bath. I really need help.

This is the main door. This is now our small eAting area

The big wooden furniture can't be removed so we have to maximize this, but how. That's my baby on the picture. We want to have a small living room in this area

This is the window

This space is now our bedroom

• Kathy DeStafino

Add a few decor items on the walls, a few throw rugs, and curtains so that it begins to feel like home. Command hooks are great because they won't damage or put holes in the walls but will hold up items.

Add a free-standing screen if you want to separate one of the open spaces.

Ask if you can add a small ceiling fan in the bathroom area, that will help with the lack of an exhaust fan.

You definitely need a bit of color added and you will like it much better.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY!

I would set up the largest part of the L as the area you will use the most. Say as your living room area with a comfy sofa and chair with a TV console. Save the smaller section for your bed and dressers, where you'll spend the least time awake. Then add some throw rugs and some artwork on the wall to give it a homey look.

• Mogie

First thing to do is put an exhaust fan in the bathroom or you could have a problem with excessive moisture. A sola tube would add a nice amount of light to either the bathroom or anywhere else. They make sola tubes now that also incorporate exhaust fans into them.

You will want to define spaces. A space for your bed, space for living room stuff, kitchen, etc. Book cases make good dividing items and have a function also. There are tons of room dividers to choose from and the good thing about those they are very easy to move.

I would consider a bed frame that is elevated more then normal. I bought one a few months ago that has 14 inches of storage space underneath it. No box spring the mattress sits right on the bed frame. I can't really explain in detail go to amazon.com and type in elevated bed frame into the search bar.

You will want furniture that will do double duty. An ottoman that opens up for storage. I have seen couches that also lift up for storage in what is normally wasted space.

Light sheer panels would make a nice soft canopy around the bed and define the area. If you want even more privacy go with a thicker material.

• Aubrey Moldez Acosta

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help. Will definitely apply all that you recommended and I'm really grateful for your help. Really really grateful. It means so much to me. Now I can relax knowing that this bare space can be turned into a livable space. Thanks for an awesome awesome help.

• Sharon

Yes an exhaust would be essential, you could put the ceiling type bathroom fan type in, or if thats not possible, consider putting a small window in the bath area, and then put a small clip on fan in to exhaust or one of those window double fan with one that blows air in and one that exhausts air out.

You could put in one of those Ikea Kallax open shelving units to define the bed area. You can use those fabric cubes for storage and display cool things... https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10409932/#/20409936

They also have ceiling mounted curtain rods that you can hang a curtain to define off an area. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70299153/ they also have a corner track

• Aubrey Moldez Acosta

Hi. Thank you for your response and the tips. It's so amazing that people in this group are so ready to help. I will apply all your recommendations. I will also check on the links. I really appreciate your help

• Flipturn

Maybe you could use the large unit that is presently in the corner, as a room divider to define the one large area into separate functions, such as sleeping area, eating, etc.

To facilitate moving large or heavy pieces of furniture around, and to help prevent floor scratches, first get some sliders. (also called gliders)

These come in different sizes and shapes, and are reasonably priced considering how well they work.

• Flipturn

There is a site, https://www.freecycle.org/search where folks can post items that they want to give away for free, or free items that they are looking for. I don't know the extent of how much it exists in San Diego, but you might be able to get some items for your apartment this way.