Brionna
Brionna
  • Swainsboro, GA
Asked on Aug 11, 2019

How do I do a simple remodel to this porch (pic in comments)?

CindyBetsyEm
+1

I don’t want to take up any of the wood. Just maybe do some painting and soften it. Need ideas!!

• Brionna

Here’s the porch!

q how do i do a simple remodel to this porchq how do i do a simple remodel to this porch
  • Em

I would cover the bottom with pallet wood vertically and let it naturally turn grey. You definitely need a railing to make the porch complete. Vertical posts with holes drilled thru and cable strung between and thru add dimension, safety and you can see thru them. Space about 10 inches apart. You could also use bull rope. That leaves a country feel. The porch looks unfinished without some kind of railing and the bottom will continue to stain or peel if you paint it. Just cover with free pallet wood and let it weather by itself.

Hi Brionna: I think paint would be the way to go. There are a lot of different colour schemes you can try. For instance, maybe paint the house a sky blue and the rails and posts white. I'd go with white rails and posts, regardless. Take a couple of pictures of your home, make a lot of photo copies and then colour them different colour schemes to see which you like best. You can even give some copies to your friends and family to colour:) That way, you won't be stuck with a colour you don't care for. You may want something that stands out, or maybe something that blends in. Also, maybe a new front door, or paint it something a couple shades darker than the house. Then, think about getting some plants for in front of the porch, something that doesn't need a lot of water, doesn't grow tall and maybe has some colour to it that will accent the house. Here are a couple of sites that show some of these:

http://www.groomedhome.com/easy-green/15-plants-that-dont-need-water

https://www.thegardenglove.com/10-no-fail-perennials-for-low-water-gardens/

https://homesteading.com/drought-tolerant-plants/

I agree that you need a porch rail and maybe some shutters. I'd also paint the cement surround the same colour as you paint the house to keep the look from looking broken up. Definitely get rid of the stuff on the porch! :) As for the porch floor, you can either paint or stain it. Stain will last longer, but looking at the age of the wood, it won't take stain evenly so porch paint may be your best bet.

Good luck, looks like quite a lot of work!

• Cindy

I would try solid-color fence/deck stain. You could even go with a light gray & paint anything you add (railings, planters) in a bright white. The skirt should be power washed. That may be all you need, but if you are not happy with the result, paint or stain it. Either way, the power washing is needed to prep the surface. This photo shows my 20+ year old fence with solid-color stain.