Is this rose vine a lost cause, or can I get it to grow again?

+7
q is there any hope for this rose vine
q is there any hope for this rose vine
  • Betsy Betsy on Sep 01, 2019

Hi LaLa: Sure, roses are touch and this one seems to have good leaves on it. Cut off all the dead bits, loosen the soil, give it some rose fertilizer, water and, hopefully it's in the sun, and it should be o.k. Be sure to keep it watered, but now over watered. If you have a trellis, or something similar that you can put by it for it to grow on, that would be great.

Good luck

• See 1 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Sep 07, 2019

Most rose bushes (oh, by the way, I meant 'tough', not touch! So goofy!) have a leader root that goes straight down, so water deeply. Who is Dorian? A cat or dog? Looking forward to the picture of the rose and Dorian:)

• Cindy Cindy on Sep 01, 2019

Hi there LaLa. I'm Cindy. Yes, your plant has plenty of life in it. Take a 6 to 8 inch clipping just below a leaf, or a node. Put it directly in water. Switch out your water every 3 or 4 days. Be patient and your roots will begin to grow. This might take weeks to months. Put your clipping in a window that gets indirect sunlight.

• LaLa LaLa on Sep 02, 2019

Hi Cindy,

Thank you very much for your help. I will cut one and see how it goes.👍

• Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on Sep 01, 2019

If there is green, there's always hope.

• LaLa LaLa on Sep 02, 2019

Kelli, Hello- there is green but at the base of the vine it seems to be dying or dead. I will take another picture tomorrow 🌹

• Jane Jane on Sep 02, 2019

It may have been grafted so the base stem is not as green.

• Jane Jane on Sep 04, 2019

Because rosebushes are often susceptible to disease and draught , they are sometimes grafted on to a stronger root of a plant that's not as pretty, so that it makes the plant more resistant. Fruit trees are also grafted for the same reason. Read up on ferlizers, surprisingly Epson salt is good ; It is magnesium, and check water drainage.