Asked on Sep 15, 2019

How can I cut/drill a hole through a plate to make it into a clock?

HomeroadJerryJanice
+1

I have several old family plates (homer Laughlin) and wanted to make them into clocks as gifts for siblings.

• Emma

I bought a glass drill bit from home depot. It's really easy. I have lots of glass plates turned "flowers" in my yard. Make sure to use water when drilling. My husband didnt and well I cleaned up a lot of glass.

• Janice

Hi Cherie, the key is the diamond bit available at any store like Lowes, Home Depot, etc. Here's an article to help you understand the process.

https://www.eternaltools.com/blog/how-to-drill-through-plates

• Jerry

You can buy a set of different sized bits on eBay. Granted, they are from China, but I have drilled lots of holes in the bottom of cut wine bottles for planters. Just go slow and add water with a spray bottle all the time.

• Homeroad

You will need a drill bit for ceramics. I usually put an x of painter's tape down first to keep the drill from chipping the dish when drilling.