Why would my bean leaves turn white in colour?

AnneJeanetteWilliam
+4

I came across with some beans leaves with part of leaves white in color. I have not seen such symptom before. Can you please let me know about this please.

• Robyn Garner

Interesting question that I had difficulty finding an answer to. I do recommend you call your county extension office to ask as things could depend on your location. From what I did read, I would treat them for 2 issues - spider mites and improper air circulation.

Thin things out so air moves around and be sure the plants are getting the proper amount of light and water. You can safely spray the tops and bottoms of the leaves with Neem oil (Home Depot, garden nurseries, etc.) which will take care of numerous pests including spider mites and aphids. It also is not a chemical and will not negatively affect your crop or being able to eat the beans. Do not spray in high heat and full sun.

• Jan Clark

Being a layman, but also a biologist, I would venture to say that as long as the plant is thriving (which it appears to be), this is a genetic mutation that has reduced the amount of chlorophyll in those leaves. Chlorophyll is what makes leaves green and lack of it is what happens in the fall when the leaves become other colors. There are some plants that are labeled 'variegated' which means that they are genetically 'programmed' to be blotched or striped. Chlorophyll is also responsible for photosynthesis which allows the plants to change sunlight into carbohydrate. Perhaps next year you should purchase organic seed or seed from another vendor.

• Lydia

I think it’s a variety of plant.

• Jeanette

I quite like it!

• Anne

that is Not from disease. Plants, almost any leafy plant can morph into a variegated variety. Happens with bushes as well.