Asked on Nov 6, 2019

How can I clean dirt out of grooves in vinyl flooring?

Catherine Deirdre RoddenMidgeO.shag
+9

Help my floors are only a year old and you could almost not even notice but I was comparing my dining and kitchen floors and realized there’s dirt in the grooves of the vinyl flooring the only thing that could get it up was a magic erase sponge but it’s going to be impossible to do the whole floor! Anyone ever see this? Of course I put in light floors ugh

The middle piece was cleaned on the right with sponge so you can see the difference

• Kelli L. Milligan

What if you use a steam mop?

I use one cup of lemon scented ammonia to a gallon hot water on my vinyl floor once a month. Removes ground in dirt, grime, and old wax. Weekly I use a few squirts of Dawn dish liquid to one gallon hot water.

• Johnavallance82

Hi there,

Maybe only wear Slippers etc. and leave outdoor shoes at the door........

• Redcatcec

John makes a good point, leave the dirt outside, if people need to wear shoes in the house, cover them with disposable booties, like they wear in the operating rooms.

• Rosamond4

Buy an inexpensive steamer. They work wonders on vinyl floors.

• Leah

Kurd Putter, spray, let set, wipe up. Most dirt is held in place by oil.

• Leah

Should be Krud Kutter. I did not notice spell checker change.

• Karen

I used to have to get on my hands n knees with a scrub brush an 2 buckets of water. One with cleaner an 1 to rinse with. Yes I also used a steam mop an no it doesn't get all the dirt out of the cracks. Good luck

• Sea Trace Creations

A few drops of dish liquid, knee pads if you need them and a scrubbing brush. Work in small sections and wipe up after you be scrubbed you'll be " floored" how much dirt will come up doing this!

• O.shag

I don't think steam mops are a good thing to use on vinyl flooring. Extreme heat,even very hot mop water is damaging to vinyl. May even warp edges of vinyl planks. Ammonia in warm water works well. Vacuum or sweep first. Mop,don't let water puddle on floor. If you use all purpose cleaner you need to rinse with clean mop or the residue will attract dirt. I read somewhere about using foaming bathroom cleaner(Scrubbing Bubbles) on very dirty vinyl. Spray small sections,let sit a minute or so,mop. Might have to mop few times to remove all residue.

• Midge

I had the same problem. Used Krud Kutter for Toughitask remover (in yellow container). Sprayed it on and let it set and to get it really clean used mop and scrubbed. It is a tedious task but then went over it all again and kept doing it until

it was gone. Then wiped with a rag. After that, I used pinesol mixed with water, and cleaned the floor as a regular cleaning. Floor has never looked so good. Regular cleaners never worked this good.

• Catherine Deirdre Rodden

Bed Bath & Beyond carries mop head refills that are Magic Eraser but looks like they are also at Walmart, Target and Amazon. I'd start with that since you already know you like the result of Magic Eraser. I agree that you should probably not use steam mop because it can curl and warp your flooring. I also agree about keeping the dirt out so once you do manage to get it clean, give everyone in the family slippers for Christmas. Have shoes come off at entry and slippers go on to protect flooring.