Renee
Renee
  • Mineral Wells, TX
Asked 3 days ago

Can you give me suggestions for making over this den?

RymeaFlipturnHeather Cammack
+9

I asked several weeks ago about this room. I was advised to get rid of clutter and to post pics of all four walls. Ok. I'm there now. The room is 16 x 28. I really want to incorporate the whole room. Dont forget a 7.5 tall Christmas tree has to also be incorporated in this mix. Any and all help would be appreciated. I'm near tears at this point trying to figure it all out.Note: TV can not be moved to be placed over fireplace (6 inch thick walls on chimney).

• Kelli L. Milligan

Tv needs to be on wall with Fireplace and a range furniture for that layout.

• Flipturn

From the pictures you posted, it seems like all the furniture is either in the corners, or stuck up against the walls. There also does not seem to be any arrangements of furniture into 'conversation areas'. There also does not seem to be any sitting furniture placed in front of the TV.

• Flipturn

From the pictures you posted, only two sources of light can be seen - the one small ceiling fixture, and the one small low light lamp. Every room should ideally should have three kinds of lighting - task, general, and ambient. Right now, there is no task light in the room.

Task and ambient lighting sources need to be added around the individual chairs and couches.

• Renee

The room does have 2 ceiling lights. Only one lamp is shown in pic as I have tried to remove most everything from the room to start a new slate. Furniture is on corners and walls trying to figure out the best placement of furniture. Putting furniture directly in front of tv will cut the rest of the room off. TV cannot be placed on any other wall due to cable access. This is a 100+yr old house

• Flipturn

A room of this length is too long for all the furniture to be placed where it can be used for watching tv, as 28 ft is too far of a distance away for a screen this size.

Instead of thinking that some furniture in the centre of the room will be 'cutting off the room,' think in terms that it will create 2 areas within one room - one for TV watching, and one for either conversation, reading, or other activities.

• Debi53

I agree that you need to create two areas- one around the fireplace and one around the TV. It looks like you have two sofas. Try placing them back to back-one in front of the TV and one at right angle to the FP. Place two chairs across from the sofa next to the FP and place another chair or two at a right angle to the sofa in front of the TV. Then place tables between the chairs and/or at the end of the sofas to hold lamps.

• Louisa

Can i say lovley size living room an age is fab :)

• What a great room! I would move the tv to the wall with the fireplace. Center it on the wall to the left of the fireplace. I would place the Christmas tree on the other side of the fireplace. I would have all the furniture facing the tv/fireplace wall, but angle a few pieces so they aren't all against that wall with the windows. I would also get a large area rug to be placed in front of the tv/fireplace area. It will give this area the main focus.

I also wanted to let you know that I've been overwhelmed when it's come to designing and decorating a room. I've had to remove everything from a room before and start with a clean slate. It's much easier to go that way than to move around furniture and items already in the room. I know that's not always possible, but hang in there, you'll figure it out.

• Heather Cammack
    Yesterday

I totally agree you need a "conversation" area with the fireplace as the focal point. Placing a large area rug in front of the fireplace will give you a clear boundary for where to place furniture. Moving the TV next to the fireplace would make it easier to view TV without making a separate seating area. I would even consider a hutch where the TV could be covered when not being used, but it's fine out too.

This should leave plenty of corners for the Christmas tree. I like to fill any extra spaces along walls with storage, decor or useful desk space. Good luck!

• Flipturn
    20 hours ago

If the location of where the TV cable enters the house can not be changed to another spot, then replace the present cable cord that connecting the wall outlet to the TV with a longer one. This would facilitate moving the TV to another location in the room.

• Rymea
    9 minutes ago

I'm so sorry for your stress but the problem is the placement of the TV. I saw your previous post. It looks 100 % better already. You had two different areas then and didn't like it that way so you have to figure out how to move the TV. Call the cable company. If they won't help then you could go with WiFi and be able to move it anywhere you want.. Or maybe the wire could go under the house? Otherwise it looks like the cord could be routed along the floor and then up over the doors to the right to end up on the wall by the fireplace. If the door to the left is a closet it could be routed through it and then around the outside of the house to end up in the corner where the chair and ottoman are now. FYI, you can paint the cord the color of the wall. You could arrange the furniture in different configurations before actually moving the TV to see what would work the best for your family.