Asked on Nov 10, 2019

Do I use polycrylic after wax when I chalk paint?

Molly - Just a Little CreativityNatalieDebi53
+2

I chart painted my countertops, then applied the wax, as instructed. Can I now seal it with Polycrylic? How kind should I wait to do this?

• Joy30150932

I have never heard of painting over a wax. You may have to remove the wax again and then do a new finish. I would check with the makers of Polycrylic and see if they suggest an alternative solution or even if they recommend you do what you are suggesting. .

• Michelle

I painted over my counter top did not use wax use poly clear 4 coats let dry before each coat then a week before putting anything on countertop

• Debi53

By its nature, wax does not allow other paints to stick to it. I think you are going to have to strip the wax before you can seal your paint.

• Natalie

Wax always has to be last. You could try to remove the wax with mineral spirits, but it most likely will pull up some paint. But the wax over the chalk paint will not hold up very well on countertops.

• I agree with everyone, wax isn't a good choice for countertops, it won't protect them or last like I'm sure you want to. You won't be able to poly over it.