Asked on Nov 14, 2019

How do I unclog a sink?

WilliamJohn GrimleyKathy Gunter Law
+2

• Pour boiling water down the drain. Then add a half cup of baking soda and let it sit for a minute. Pour a cup of vinegar and a cup of hot water down the drain. Cover loosely and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Pour another pot of boiling water down the drain to flush out the clog.

• Kathy Gunter Law

Remove as much as possible with a snake or drain cleaning tool. Pour ½ cup baking soda then ½ cup white vinegar in the drain and cover, letting sit for 20 minutes. Boil water, remove cover, and pour water down the drain. You may have to repeat the process.

• John Grimley

It all depends on how the drain is assembled. My preferred method is to buy all plastic pipes etc and screw fittings. It's a doddle to take it apart and clean through with a toilet brush (not an old, used one).

However, if it's just plastic pipes all glued together, I like to push down a short length of wire used for hanging net curtains. With just a bit protruding, connect to a cordless drill and slowly ramp up the speed. Despite the twists and turns in the pipes, the spinning wire will begin to form 'waves' (like a sine wave). Nothing really survives in the pipe then. It also works a treat on the most stubborn blockages in toilets. Having worked maintenance in a residential care home, unblocking sinks and toilets was a major part of my work.

Pour some baking soda down the sink. Then pour some vinegar down. Immediately cover the drain with a cloth and hold down. The force of the foaming should push the clog through. If a double sink cover both drains. Follow up with hot water.