Asked on Nov 23, 2019

How do I repair my toilet float that makes hissing noises?

Ken EricksonWilliamDeanna Nassar
+2

Replaced the float in my toilet. The float isnt leaking water but I hear a hissing noise like air is flowing somewhere It happens a few times an hour Any ideas?

• Mona Blake

There is an adjustment on the float, try turning it to see if it stops.

• Daw1955

where is the adjustment ? I replace the old one with a fill valve

• Deanna Nassar

If you didn't replace the flapper ball at same time it may be leaking water. Tighten all nuts to be sure it's not seeping around them. Had one recently do that because overflow tube was not attached correctly.

The flapper is leaking. Nothing to do with the float. Before replacing check to make sure there are a few loose chain links when the flapper is down. About three or four. If they chain is loose then the flapper needs to be replaced. Water is getting passed the flapper and the water level drops in the tank. Then it starts to fill to level and cycles all over again.

• Ken Erickson

You can put a couple of drop of food coloring into the tank. If the color goes into the toilet bowl, then your flapper is leaking and needs to be replaced or see William's comment.