Asked on Dec 1, 2019

How do you close off the side of an open back porch?

Deb KLifestyles HomesEm
+4

• Tinyshoes

Coleen....You can use screen

Hi Coleen: Are you wanting a permanent closure? If so, I would make a wooden wall. First, paint the wall with a THIN coat of Thompson's Waterproofing. Let that dry and then paint or stain. You can screw or nail (I prefer screws, easier to remove) Good Luck

Can you seal up the area where the water goes into the crawl space? If you put up the wooden wall(s), make sure they are lower than the concrete floor. You can get some 4x4 ground spikes from the home improvement store to pound into the ground so that you don't have to dig to put in the posts, and attach 4x4 posts to them, it's really easy. Then, screw the wooden walls to that. Are you going to need a roof? If so, that's another problem. But, for the walls, this would be the easiest way to go. Here's a site that shows them, they are called different things at different stores, but if you show them a picture of them, they will know what you are talking about. They vary in price, too, so check around. If you put on a roof, then you have made a 'room', and your taxes may change. Good luck

• Em

You can attach panels. You can add porch blinds. Do you want privacy or close the sides in permanently. I use the white plastic corrugated material. Not the prettiest thing in the world but clean looking. My neighbors house was 6' from mine and I wanted privacy. The panels cut with shears and were up in a flash with white nails.

• Lifestyles Homes

4x8 sheets of Masonite-type siding are cheep and fast, and you can paint them to match your house.

Screw then into the framing with coated deck screws. If you want to remove them in the summer, then use galvanized washers with the screws.

• Deb K

Hi Coleen, how permanent do you want this? You can use plastic lattice and plants like virginia creeper on it for a natural look. Or something more permanent like in the videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jhqbnM-5XQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r10j7MQRmY