Asked on Dec 20, 2019

How can I make housework seem easier?

Jeremy HoffpauirKathy Gunter LawLucie - Christina F. Repurposed
+10

What is your favorite idea, method, or custom for making housework easier. Mine is realizing that picking up makes cleaner an awful lot easier.

• Gk
    Gk

I always have a running list of household cleaning I want to do. I try to accomplish a few off the list weekly.

• Sharon
    Sharon

I find as a caregiver responsible for many homes that making a routine of each chore on a certain day of the week keeps me on track. If I have lots of projects to declutter, I make lists and cross off as I go.

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

I make sure to keep my kitchen counters clean and clear at all times. Then there is one less obstacle to getting meals ready!

great question, Emily! :)

• FrugalFamilyTimes.com
    FrugalFamilyTimes.com

Oh! One more! I don’t try to do it all. My whole family lives here, so my whole family has responsibilities for keeping our home clean and tidy. We have a “chore night” where we all do our assigned chores together - almost fun. ;) And we each have our daily chores.

• Beth
    Beth

You could try making a chore chart, which can help you to spread things out over time, so that tasks don't build up and become overwhelming. Here's a good chore chart system: https://www.yourmodernfamily.com/chore-charts/

• Music motivates me and I use each song like a timer for specific jobs to keep me on task. One song , I can sing and make the bed, two songs, I can empty and load the dishwasher, etc. Plus good tunes makes every job more fun.

• 516maria
    516maria

Keep saying..

don’t put it down....Put it away.

• 48017673
    48017673

I’d recommend a cleaning app! They are a life saver for me.

• I work from home, and it's difficult to work knowing that I have dishes, laundry, etc staring at me. I start my day with a quick tidy and a fresh and "cleanish" house and leave everything else for when my work day is complete. Love all of these ideas!

• Emily
    Emily

thank you all for such helpful advice. I should have said that my age is what is making things difficult. What was once a piece of cake is now a really hard chore, but also I just don't want to do it! LOL. I know it will only get more difficult so I am going to try to always pick up and also dispose of things. We have a very full house! Thank you all, you show creativity and also the importance of keeping a nice house, you don't scorn it but recognize that it creates a comfortable haven for family.

• That is exactly what I do. I try to pick up every single day! This helps keep the cleaning to a minimum.

• Kathy Gunter Law
    Kathy Gunter Law

Daily tackle small jobs and don’t let things pile up like dishes and laundry. Keep a duster handy and do one room each day.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
    Jeremy Hoffpauir

My wife and I clean segmented our home into 10 areas which can be cleaned in 20 to 30 minutes per day. Either of us clean 1 of these areas per day, which keeps our house relatively clean.

Hope this Helps! Jeremy - https://do-daddy.com