Asked on Feb 26, 2020

How can I install a shower bar in a bathtub without drilling holes?

PatBetsyPamela
+22

My 98 year old mother is staying with my sister since she has gotten out of rehab. She is very unsteady and sits on shower chair in the bathtub. She need something to hold on to during her shower, but my sister really does not want to drill holes in her tile walls. Any ideas about using something in the bathtub? Walker is to large to fit. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

• Linda C

You can buy a temporary handle that grips the outside edge of the bath tub.

Try Amazon or Walmart.

• Kathy Gunter Law

you can get a seat with handles. My mother has one. Be careful if you go with suction cup grab bars and make sure she checks with each use, they come loose.

• Mogie

amazon.com has grab bars that are secured to the tub or shower surround with what looks like big suction cups. Just go to there site and type what you want in the search bar. When checking out items I pay attention to the customer reviews. Nice to hear how someone who already bought an item feels about that item after using it for real.

• Redcatcec

We had the short bar with suction cups on the horizontal side of the tub, it worked pretty well as a stabilizer for getting up and down, but removed it because it created a further obstacle entering/exiting the fiberglass tub/shower enclosure. We then had the heavy duty textured grab bars installed and are much more secure with them. In fact, I would not even consider getting rid of them with this present set up. The plan for the future is to take out the tub, and just have a walk-in shower with a low lip of about 5" and still keep the metal grab bars. It seems that very few household members take baths.

Also consider:

There are pivotal seats with handles that straddle the tub side, a person can sit on it outside the tub, then lift their legs and slide onto a seat placed in the tub. This is just an intermediate step with navigation. It may work for your mother.

I agree with Flipturn, an attached grab bar(s) is the way to go, I would not rely on a suction cup system, they do slip when there is adequate pressure applied to them.

Best to you, your sister, an of course your mother, hope she does well in her recovery.

• Lauren of Mom Home Guide

I agree. It’s probably best to have them professionally installed. A bar held up by suction cups could give way.

• Em

You are talking about your Mother for Heaven's sake.

Suction cup bars are out of the question. Bite the bullet and install grab bars that are attached properly to the studs behind the shower wall.

• Em

Here is a thought. Home Depot sells small tiles with stamped designs like a sea shell or just small squares like an 2" x 2" you could glue on top of the holes if you ever remove the bar.

It is a great selling point to have a grab bar in a tub/shower enclosure anyway.

I would not listen to those with the suction cup idea.

A friend of mine had a trip to the emergency room with her son. He grabbed onto one of the old soap dishes with the bar on it to help himself up and it was cemented into the wall. A small child pulled it right out, he fell smashed the back of his head on the tub and hit himself in the forehead with the ceramic soap dish requiring stitches. Elderly bones are more brittle than you think.

NEVER sacrifice safety for money. Your Mom is worth more than that. Give her a hug from all of the Home talker's that care.

• Lori

They sell a handicap grip bar that suction cups to the wall and works great!

• This is your Mother, bite the bullet and install correctly. Get a contractor familiar with ADA requirements to install for you.

https://www.top5reviewed.com/bathtub-safety-rails/

You will never forgive yourself if something happens. I had them installed in both my mom's house and mine so no matter where she was, I could bathe her safely.

• Pamela

I agree , you should make it safe , without any question about it ! If your mother is a very tiny person , the suction cup bar might work , the suction bar that goes on the tubs edge , might be sturdier . But I would have someone who weighs considerably

more than your mother test it first , making sure they use their full weight to pull themselves up with it , if it moves even the slightest bit , it would be a no go and have someone come in and out one in properly , by drilling it in to the tile . You should never take a chance !!! A fall in the tub or shower could be tragic !

Hi Peggy: I agree with getting a grab bar that is attached to a couple of studs. If the walls are fiberglass, plastic, or even tile, they are not secure. A thing attached to an insecure thing is only as secure as the thing it's attached to! Whew! What I mean is that the wall covering isn't very secure and could come away from the wallboard, and that studs are more secure. Your mom's safety is more important than a couple of holes in the wall. I'd also consider a transfer chair. Check to see if her insurance will cover this and, sometimes they cover the installation. For my mom, I had her tub removed and had a little 4" tall curb put in front where the tub opening was. This way, she only had to step over a little bit and not the high tub. It worked out well for her. Good luck.

As an afterthought, when I clean my tub, I spray it with the tub cleaner and then use a toilet bowl brush, dedicated to cleaning the tub only, to scrub it out. Helps on the back and you can get into the corners easier and around the faucet. You can do the walls with it too:) I'm all for easy!

• Pat

I agree with installing grab bars permanently by screwing into the studs. I know of younger people that use the grab bars while showering or even cleaning the shower stall. We have one on the side of the shower and one on the back of the shower..both vertical. Husband has a bench with arms in the shower also. Also have a suction cup mat on the floor so as not to slip. Can't be too careful.