Easy DIY Vertical Garden

$45

Hi Hometalkers! It's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. My hubby built me this super-cool vertical garden a couple of years ago. I absolutely love it, and today I'm going to show you how you can build one too. A quick note before we get started: Our vertical garden has 12 shallow planter troughs, and I grow hardy sedum and succulents in it for decoration. If you want to grow herbs, flowers, or veggies in yours, I recommend modifying these plans to make bigger, deeper troughs that hold more soil. As-is, there isn't enough soil to hold the amount of water needed for thirstier plants. Okay let's get started!

Start with 6' Fence Boards

Start with 6' cedar fence boards. The structure will be 3' wide, so cut each one in half. Our garden has 12 troughs, so we needed a total of 24 3' pieces of fence board.

Measure & Mark 2x4s

Next, measure and and use a pencil to mark how far apart the troughs will be along each of the side boards. Ours are 6.5" apart.

Cut Triangles

Use the speed square to measure and cut one of the pressure-treated 2x4s into 45 degree triangles.

When you're done the triangles should look like this. You'll need 24 of them.

Screw the Triangle Supports into the Long Side Pieces

Lay the two 2x4s side-by-side. Drill pilot holes, and then use the long screws to attach the triangle supports to the 2x4s.

Stain

Stain all the pieces to protect them from water.

Attach Diagonal Pieces

Use 1 1/4″ screws to attach the fence boards to the front face of the triangle supports. Use 2 of the screws on each side of each piece.

Attach Back Pieces

Now turn the whole thing over and attach the boards to the back using two 1 1/4" screws on both sides of each board.

Attach to Wall or Fence

We used a piece of 2x4 (leftover from cutting the triangles) to mount the vertical garden to the side of the house, with it's feet resting on the patio.

And that's it! For more detailed instructions and more process photos, come check out my post, where I'll also show you how to plant and set up irrigation for your vertical garden.

We finished our whole patio makeover in one weekend, including the vertical garden. You can see the transformation HERE!

On the fence? You can always start with this ultra quick & easy vertical garden instead!

Jazz Up Your Bathroom With These 30 Stylish Additions
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
15 Totally Doable Makeover Ideas You Can Finish In One Day
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
Jessica Welling Interiors

• Jan

Did you use any liner, since plants will die in pressure treated lumber. Even a trash bag will work, as long as the plants don’t touch the wood.

• Jan

I did some checking, and the treatment has changed but The toxicity is leached through to the ground. It is good that you used something in between.

• Dara Shirey

Could you put plastic sheeting behind to protect the wall from water drainage?