Asked on Mar 29, 2020

Whitewashed bricks came out to white

Carrie @ Curly Crafty MomBecky at Flipping the FlipJohnavallance82
+25

I whitewashed the bricks with watered down Klitz stain blocker white paint and it came to white and looks almost Gray tint.

How can i fix it.

• Em

Is this the before or after picture? What are you trying to achieve? Do you want it white or more of a solid white. Why did you use Kilz? Kilz is made as a stain blocker/ primer. Use latex of chalk paint if you want to change the color. If this is the after it looks like you watered the paint down too much. Try a thicker texture and experiment on one inside brick to see if that is what you want.

• Mercy

Thank you. Didn't want it solid white just don't like the color. Was thinking of going over it with watered down off white or beige. Will experiment on other bricks i have.

I did try scrubbing some off, but didnt work.

• Nan W.

HI! you could use some dark wax on it... like I did for my coffee table project:

https://www.hometalk.com/44255352/1960s-coffee-table-into-2020

• Annie

This is a before pic right? Can you post the after pic so we can see the whitewashing?

You use Kilz primer. Go over with 50/50 water down acrylic white paint.

• Beth

There are paints specifically for brick, so maybe try using one of those as an overcoat. Like these: https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Exterior-Paint-Masonry-Brick-Stucco-Paint/Whites/N-5yc1vZbbbjZ1z140hb

• Pau39570403

I would use flat paint that matches the wall with a roller. I will look great. leave the grout plain as is. I used this in my family room. Was very happy with the results.

• We painted our concrete with a paint from Benjamin Moore specifically made for cement and it was available in custom colors. I'm sure there is one for brick and it can be tinted to the perfect while hue...

• Janice

It's frustrating when proects don't turn out as we envision them. Perhaps you can use a color (maybe beige) to bring back some color. Keep working with it until you get it to look like you want, maybe even adding in another color other than white or beige. Keep experimenting with the extra brick you mentoned until you love the result and the carry forward with the entire fireplace. I have confidence that you'll come up with a great look that you'll love. Any change from the red brick will be a BIG difference. Hang in there! You will succeed!

• Sharon

I would take a wire brush to it to make it porous, then go over it with watered down PAINT not primer in whatever tone you hoped to achieve..... i.e. golden tone (base) white paint.

• Kmdreamer

Try to white wash again not using kills use reg pAint if that doesn’t help then you might need to paint it white

• Kmdreamer

You could try to wet a scrub brush and scrub some paint off

• Dee

Kilz is a primer and not meant to use alone. Get an eggshell paint mix with water if you want a light sheen. If not get flat ceiling paint and go over the entire thing again. You may need 2 additional coats for it to look really good. Play with the amounts of water and paint mixture to get a consistency you want.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I think it looks awesome ! but if you like a bit more variation use some wire brush and distress a bit

• Cheryl A

Kilz is a stain primer - here is another idea for you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtZTaj7e6_g

• Johnavallance82

Hello,

If you want it to be white, then go over it with a white watered down emulsion or brick paint, but if you want it to be red again, go over each brick individually with a watered down red brick paint so you get just the depth of colour you want. Then use a sealer on the whole fireplace. Best wishes. If a job is worth doing then it's worth taking your time...................

• Indeed, Kilz is a primer, not a paint. It really depends on what you’re trying to accomplish but you can go over it with more paint. Water it down less than you did the primer or the primer appearance will still peek through.

• Carrie @ Curly Crafty Mom

You could try stripping it and perhaps you can strip just some of it off and not all: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fj3W2otrs0