Asked on Mar 31, 2020

Looking for recommendation on color?

RymeaBecky at Flipping the FlipEva Davis
+8

Hi! My neighbors (Upper 70’s) have this patio set from their late parents. I have time on my hands that I want to Do something nice for them and give a face lift to the set. I washed it down and found the glass to the two tables have a hint of blue. What color should I spray paint the rest? I won’t be able to separate the seat portion from the rims of the chairs. Also, does anyone know if E6000 Glue will be the best idea to repair the broken elastic blue portion? I appreciate whatever advice anyone has! Janie

• Annie

A nice bright white would look good. Or a shade of red. What is the homeowners favorite colors?

• Dee

I would not use red it is one of the hardest colors to get even. White, Navy, or Oil Rubbed bronze would look good. I would try a glue gun for the chairs or see if you can find webbing and reweb the chairs. Or use rubber cement. I would probably then get some cushions to cover the webbing up.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would paint it all black but add a nice cushions .. Black always look elegant

• Megan

I think all black would be super pretty too with new cushions! Love Agnes idea. There is no harm in trying E6000 especially if you already have some!

Replace the webbing. It's just become stiff and dry rotted. Paint the frame a charcoal or black.

• Michelle Leslie

Hey Janie, what a beautiful gesture, I'm sure your neighbours would love whatever you do. I would however suggest removing them webbing. E6000 is really strong and good for outdoors but it won't hold up in the long run to fix the webbing. I found some alternative to webbing if you're struggling to her hold of them - https://www.hunker.com/13404173/alternative-replacement-for-plastic-strapping-for-chairs Best of luck

• Redcatcec

The vinyl straps are worn out and they need to be removed and discarded. For the frames, wash them down and remove any rust, paint with a dark color...charcoal, dark gray, or black. Add a new color(s) of webbing. There is a good selection at Amazon or diy stores.

• Janie

Thank you to all who answered. The truth is they like the vintage plastic webbing. With just a strap or two broken they are still very usable chairs. I think I was asking how to repair this exact plastic webbing. Thank you for the answer on E6000, and I never thought of rubber cement!

Sounds like everyone’s pushing more for Charcoal or black on replacement color.

Thanks!

• Eva Davis

Pitch it. Not worth spending money on 😔

• Rubber cement will definitely not hold and the other glue might possibly hold until someone sits on it. Machine stitching is likely a workable patch. You might inquire with an upholstery company or fabric store for advice on the webbing repair or if they know where you could find something near exact to replace. Once webbing goes, it is very difficult to repair.

• Rymea

I don't think you will be able to paint the frame under the webbing and it will show through so I would paint the frames a rusty brown color. Rust-Oleum has one called Aged Metallic Rust. I'm not sure if it will paint right over rust or if you would have to sand first.

The webbing looks molded or mildewed. I don't know what will get the webbing clean. Possible you can just remove the broken pieces and tie off and glue the ends.