Ultra-Easy Paint Strokes Accent Wall

$20

Hi it's Jess from Jessica Welling Interiors. In order to cope with being stuck at home for the past 6 weeks, I've been busy making over my husband's home office. I'm currently obsessed with painting accent walls, and the back wall of his new closet office was just begging for a fun bold pattern. This project only took a few hours, and this is by far the easiest accent wall I've done! You really don't need any artistic ability for this one.

Before...

This is a standard bedroom closet that we're turning into a closet office or "cloffice." As you can see, we removed the sliding doors and I recently painted the room and inside of the closet white to freshen and brighten it up.

1. Find or Make Reference Lines

We removed the wire shelf that spans the top of the closet for painting. But the little brackets were still there. You can see them if you look closely... These brackets form a straight level line across the closet, so I used them as a reference for my first row of brush strokes. If you need some reference lines, I recommend running a couple of horizontal lines of masking tape across the wall.

2. Paint Your First Color

I started with black (carbon), but it doesn't really matter which color you use first. I used 3 different shades... a true black, and two charcoals to give the pattern some depth. Each of my strokes are 3-4" high, and they're not supposed to be perfect. I spaced the strokes semi-randomly across the wall, leaving space to come back with the other two colors.

3. Paint Your 2nd Color

Next, come back and paint your second color, leaving some spaces for the 3rd color.

4. Paint Your 3rd Color

5. Paint the Edges

I wanted my wall to have the look of wallpaper, so I took the pattern all the way to the top, bottom, and edges. In order to do this, I did some brush strokes right into the corner, and then came back later with white paint to clean up the line.

And it's finished!

I'm so excited about how this turned out! You can see the rest of the finished closet office HERE! Are you thinking about painting an accent wall? Check out more fun accent wall ideas on my blog!

Jessica Welling Interiors