So as with any project I went to the most trusted source I could, Pinterest. Duh! Hahaha. However, I was shocked to find little to no tutorials on how to really go about building a vent cover over an existing one, now they very well could be out there I just might not have searched well enough or long enough.
Since I couldn’t find anything I just scribbled on piece of paper the look I was trying to achieve, showed my husband and then we discussed how we’d go about building it without having to drill/nail into our backsplash. We could have easily screwed into the tile, and that’s certainly a way to go about this, however I just didn’t want to make those type of permanent choices for this DIY if we didn’t have to!
To start, we had to figure out what type of wood and the amount we would be needing. Our range is 48” wide, so we knew the base would be a little bigger as we had to account for the covering the edges of the hood. the List we came up with is below, the below list will have to be adjusted to suit the needs of your current hood.
– (1) 4×8 sheet of sanded birch at 1/4“ thickness (this was used as the face and sides of the hood)
– (3) 1x3x8 pine boards used for the supports of the face and sides
– (3) 2x2x8 pine boards used for the top frame, side frame and front frame.
– (1) 8’ Crown moliding
– (3) 8’ Lattice moliding
– (1) 8’ Corner molding
Once we had our supplies, we measured the top of the hood to see where the studs were, once we found studs on either side of the chimney stack we secured a board into each, then one across the front. We added an extra onto the left side to accommodate the look we were trying to achieve.