Asked on Jun 27, 2020

Im replacing flooring in basement and main floor with same flooring.

Ken EricksonKmdreamerBecky at Flipping the Flip
+9

I want to know if floorboards should be changed to match lighter floors

If you want a good flow from room to room using the same/similar flooring throughout gives an open feel. Wood floors should match or be within the the same color family. Separate rooms like a basement can have different flooring. Baseboards should be the same as trim around doors and windows.

• Joy Elizabeth

It is very tricky to get an exact match when doing a wood to wood transition. I have noticed doing a nice transition between the rooms, such as a row of brick tile makes the transition flow better.

• Joy Elizabeth

Here is an example!

• Annie

It will look best if the baseboards are the same color as the flooring

• Bishop J

Not necessarily, if it looks good and your happy, leave it.

• Agnes Chrzanowska

I would say keep it the same color it looks more uniformed

• Cheryl A

If you want an uniform look then you should keep the colors the same but if would like a different look in the basement from the other part of the house then you could go with a shade darker or lighter but same type flooring

• Cynthia H

I think a more uniform look makes your home flow better and in my opinion look much nicer. Good luck and stay safe!

• Kmdreamer

No but you should check for squeaks and screw in better

• Ah, the rest of your question is here. It'll look better if everything matches but if that's not in the budget, it's not the end of the world. Just get as close as you can.

• Kmdreamer

No you do not need to change the floor boards just re enforce them so they don’t squeak.

• Ken Erickson

It all depends on the look you want. Flooring in 2 levels of the house don't need to be the same unless it continues down the stairs. That would be a concern if everything was carpet.