Pretty in Pink Hutch

$60

I picked up this hutch from a thrift store and gave it a makeover!

I had a pretty floral wallpaper I wanted to use on the back and some pink paint leftover from a previous project so I decided they would go together and be a fun little redo.

Before

My Plan

This was my general vision. This beautiful wallpaper I found locally with a deep discount. Often times I find wallpaper at thrift stores too! It’s great to line drawers of furniture with also.

So back to the project...

this paper with this pink called Sherwin Williams Cherubic matched in this Behr Chalk paint and the hardware in brass.

After cleaning the piece with Krud Kutter and scuff sanding it my helpful husband removed the back of the hutch behind the shelves. Usually there are just tiny nails you can pry out and it’s so much easier to work with the entire back out. You can work on the inside of the hutch from either side and make fewer cuts of wallpaper with the back by itself.

I used BIN primer first to seal the entire piece. This makes the paint adhere better and also prevents the tannins in the wood from bleeding through.

After I primed I used the pink and gave the entire piece two coats of paint.

At the last minute I decided to take a gray and white chalk paint I had on hand and I added those to the piece as well.

I misted the piece with my water bottle and blended the colors on here and there.

See how I have a little of each color on my brush?

While waiting for that to dry I added the wallpaper to the back piece with 3M spray adhesive and sprayed the hardware in Rustoleum Vintage Gold.

I used my sander and lightly sanded to bring out the pink and soften the gray and white and also distressed it to show the wood here and there as well.

Lastly I used Annie Sloan white wax - working in sections. Wiping off the excess wax until it isn’t tacky.

I used a sanding pad to go over that to make the finish nice and smooth afterwards.

You can also see the distressing better in this picture.

Finally the back was nailed back into place and the hardware screwed back on and she’s feeling fancy.

Hutches can be a lot of work but I really love how it turned out.

It can make a great addition to a fun space whether that’s a kitchen, dining room, library, office or a child’s room.

You can find me on Instagram sharing videos in stories of painting or rambling if you enjoy either one of those!

Instagram.com/pickedandposhed

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
13 DIY Projects That Scream Canada
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Check Out These Wonderful Gift Ideas You Can Do All By Yourself
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

To see more: //instagram.com/pickedandposhed