Colorful Kitchen Backsplash

$30

We are in the process of finishing the inside of our country cabin and I needed a waterproof backsplash but also wanted color.

I decided to use hardie backer board (special bathroom drywall for tiling), texture it and then paint it.

I had my husband cut the hardie and then I added the texture. To do this, I used Soquete but you can use any drywall texture which you apply with a regular paint roller.

After it dried, I painted the entire wall with an oil-based copper paint as a base. ( So, one day to cut and texture, next day to paint and third day to install).

Then came the fun part...

Because I have turquoise rock inserts in the live edge kitchen counter, I wanted to use those same colors for the walls.

I used three different colors of blue and green.

I also used some metallics. Using a pallet knife, I just applied the paint directly onto the textured hardi board.

Basically, what happens is that the paint will get mostly on the raised areas. I used the different blues and the metallics. The last color was the light aqua which really stood out.

When it was done, I installed it using screws and then touching up the screw holes with more metallic paint.

This was the counter before we installed it. I added the turquoise rocks inside the cracks and then poured the epoxy (but explaining the process is another post  ).

Here you can see it installed. I still have to add a small live edge piece of cedar on the edge, another shelf above the microwave and knobs and a new refrigerator but we are getting there. Little by little.

Here is another picture but with a smaller microwave because the other one died.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Turn A Cake Pan Into A Shelf + More Clever Repurposing Ideas!
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
31 Clever Ideas To Reuse Muffin Pans And Cupcake Liners
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th

• Flipturn
    Flipturn

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Leslie
    Leslie

The painting of the board looks like copper that has patinated over time. WELL DONE. LOVE the live edge counter top. Don't worry about the small microwave, as soon as my behemoth over my stove dies I am replacing with a smaller one and will put it on a nice shelf, plus you can use the space next to the mini micro for cook books.

Thank you for sharing your process.

• Carolina
      Carolina

Thank you Leslie for those nice words. Yes, the "patina" on the copper was the idea but with paint. I personally love it. I know the look is not for everyone but that cabin is rustic and will have unique things like that.