DIY Artwork Sconce Lights

$35

I’ve been struggling with lighting in my living room and I figured hanging some sconces above some family photos would be the solution! Well with no electrical on the wall, I didn’t want cords hanging down and puck lights just weren’t bright enough. I researched battery operated artwork lighting and prices ranged between $45-$300 but reviews were so mixed.

Soooooo why not make my own?! For around $35 each, I made my own battery operated sconces and I couldn’t be happier!!!!

Materials:

5/8” dowel (6” pieces)

Picture Ledge (23”)

LED remote control edge strip light (battery operated)

Gold spray paint (satin bronze)

Cable Two hole strap

2x3 lumber (12.25”)

First step was to mark the 2x3 (cut to 12.25”) which would be the wall mount for the light. Measured half the wood which is 1.5”.

Then measured in 2.5” to make the hole.

Using a 5/8” spade bit, we easily made two holes in each piece to place the dowel.

Next up was to cut the dowels. You can cut these to whatever length you want, depending on your finished light size. Mine were cut to 6” each.

I then added some No More Nails glue into the hole the dowel would go through.

Be careful to not use too much and push the dowel down through the front so any excess glue squeezes through the back.

Next up is placing the two hole strap brackets and measuring it out on the picture ledge.

Once they’re centered, hold them while you place the strap brackets.

Screw them into place, and you have an almost finished piece.

I then painted them using satin bronze spray paint.

It gave them such a finished look that I loved.

We then screwed in some 3” screws which would be used to mount to the wall.

Having them stick out in the back, allowed us to push small holes in the wall for where the wall plugs would go.

Once wall plugs are in place, screw the light onto the wall.

These lights are the coolest! They work with batteries and a remote.

The back as magnets attached, and comes with double sided tape.

The light attaches to these magnets for easily attachment and removal for battery changes.

The finished look is exactly what I was going for.

25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
15 Memorial Day Crafts

• RC
    RC

Nice. My questions is, you were spray painting outside in the winter? that would never fly here.

• RC
      RC

E95656, That's a given duh! We have 6+ months of "wait for a good weather day" winter/polar vortex which is why I was surprised at the snow in the photo.

• Erin
    Erin

How much time did this take?

• Nan
    Nan

Where do I buy those lights??? Home Depot??? Walmart??

• Nancy
    Nancy

I love the clean look and the finish could be anything you want. Excellent design and functional too!

• Amy Aube
    Amy Aube

Very creative , They came out beautifully . The clean lines and wood give them a contemporary meets country look. By the way, I live in the North East. When it’s too cold out , I spray paint in the (unheated) garage and bring in my project to dry.