Jeff C
Jeff C
  • Broadview Heights, OH
Asked on Aug 9, 2012

What will I re-purpose this item into?

Kathy BaileySam ChambersAnnie Doherty
+14

Nobody wanted this lamp from a moving sale so thanks to the creative juices that I received from Hometalk, I was able to spot a use for it other than being an antique looking lamp. Can you guess what I'm going to turn it into? P.S. It looks to be of brass. What type of compound would I use to attach tiles or other decorations to it that can withstand exterior elements?
q what will i re purpose this item into, crafts, repurposing upcycling
  • Becky (J) P

I would have said something for the fireplace.......take the top off and use it for starter blocks or long matches?

• Michele C

I see high end wind chimes using the top piece as the clapper and the round bowl/urn piece to hang the pipes from. (The photo looks as though the top piece separates from the bottom.)

• Jeanette S

Compound could be something like epoxy used to fix driveways? It's use outdoors an outside oil lamp with a wick & globe?

• Donna R

I use tile adhesive for inside & outside projects. Then sanded grout. I learned thru experience not to buy the combined adhesive/grout. Buy them separately. I thinking the bottom is going to be a pot for a plant and the top will be a candle holder? I'm sure it's something much more creative than that! Btw, you do have to finish off with a grout sealer if your plan is to use mosaics.

• Diann F

It looks like it would make a great planter with mosaic tiles around the outside but not sure what or how to protect it from the elements. Could also use it in a water fountain feature...letting the water pour from it.

• Terry F

Garden ornament???

• Jeff C

Some of you are pretty darn close. Should have know most of you would have guessed it.

• Becky (J) P

and.......

• Donna R

and......

• Jeff C

Can't reveal it just yet. Need to finish it off before the big reveal. Should be within the next few days.

• Donna R

Oh, the suspense!!!!

• Panhandlelil1

I use the large pieces and make flower arrangement in them, The large piece can be used to hold a small potted plant. It makes a real pretty pot. You could spray paint it any color you would like.

• Sheila Wayne

If it is heavy on the bottom I have made garden totems. Use glass parts and metal parts from old lamps. Purchase a metal rod to fit through each part along with nuts and washers and stack up the pieces. Most old lamps come with weights on the bottom. You can use these from the other lamps you take apart to make it heavy on the bottom.

• Diana Deiley

waiting for.........................

• Annie Doherty

Mosaics would look beautifulm tricky but achievable. Or as it is brass, paint it to emulate the vedigris effect and use as a lamp or solar light, or use as a house number or name hang from the porch or by the front door/gate, I can't wait to see the reveal

• Sam Chambers

Sooooo, what did you do??????

• Kathy Bailey

i know what i did with mine...........i made candle operas that stand for halloween.....