Sun fading my interior

Does anyone have an idea other than tinting glass, to help solve my sun problem? The windows are odd shaped so I am confused as to what to do for window treatments. The sun shining in has ruined my furniture and pictures in my house. Help!
sun fading my interior, home decor, window treatments, windows
  20 answers
  • Stephanie Darnell Stephanie Darnell on Nov 08, 2014
    I was thinking something like this, but shorter - just the length of the windows. The photo is of blinds, but sheer curtains would work too. I found the photo at:
  • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Nov 08, 2014
    First, don't discount the idea of window tint. I have a feeling you believe window tinting to be dark and obvious. Surprisingly, it doesn't always have to look like someone's car windows. Gila (a maker of all sorts of home window tinting products) has a great film that is next to impossible to see after it's been applied to the glass. I know because I've used it on the windows of two of my houses. It's been wonderfully effective in reducing the extra, unwanted, heat from some large windows we have, along with great UV protection, which is what has damaged your furniture and photos. I found ours at our local Lowe's. If you want to learn more about it, here's a link: Before you think I work for the company, I don't. I'm just happy to have found their products. My home is filled with countless one-of-a-kind antiques and I want to take good care of them. Sheers will do little to protect from the UV damage. All they will do is to slightly filter it but there will still be continued UV infiltration. And, in time, the sheers will deteriorate from direct UV exposure.
    • See 4 previous
    • Hope Williams Hope Williams on Nov 10, 2014
      It is easy enough to install by yourself. If you can paint, you can install this film.
  • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Nov 08, 2014
    I've never had any difficulty installing it smoothly. All you need to do is to go slowly and be patient. It's pretty easy.
  • Sandy Sandy on Nov 09, 2014
    Look for verticals that shade the sun, but you can see outside, I've seen some very nice ones. Can't remember where, maybe Penneys
  • Kathy Heimann Kathy Heimann on Nov 09, 2014
    There are wonderful mesh roll up shades with remotes available. They take up very little space at the top of the windows and really cut out the UV rays during the height of the sun. Lowe's carries them
    • Kathy Heimann Kathy Heimann on Nov 10, 2014
      @Kathy Heimann When rolled up they are hidden from view by a slim header like you have in the picture with a trim color to match your decor and you can lower them to any length you like. They are actually attractive, not bulky like patio shades.
  • Diane Slovinsky Hanley Diane Slovinsky Hanley on Nov 09, 2014
    The main issue is the shape of the winows. As u can see your traditional roll up or vertical will not hang correctly for them to function or look nice.
  • Frann Frann on Nov 09, 2014
    Diane - you could get a vertical custom made for the space by Hunter Douglas and I believe Levolor, but at a custom price. Your most cost effective coverage would come from curtains or window film. There are some amazing stained glass looking prints out there as well as tint or frost. Or if crafty you could stencil frost the windows.
  • Danielle C Aston Danielle C Aston on Nov 09, 2014
    Window awnings, maybe? You would necessarily have to go with canvas ones they can be made as trim to match your house. Kind of like this…but I also want to say I love my tint. It wasn't all that expensive to put in, it's helped immensely and it's not shiny like you see on office buildings
  • Diane Slovinsky Hanley Diane Slovinsky Hanley on Nov 09, 2014
    When doing tint and you need to piece sheets for size can you see that it is pieced?
  • Swan Road Designs Swan Road Designs on Nov 09, 2014
    I've never had to do any "piecing" because the film comes in quite a variety of widths/lengths. I would suspect, that if done carefully, any butt joint of the film could be achieved nearly invisibly.
  • Sonja Knigge Sonja Knigge on Nov 09, 2014
    I've had window tint on my windows for nine years. I will tell you the sun has bleached out my wood floor and furniture even with the tint. I am going to install those remote blinds. I think that is both our best options.
  • Diane Slovinsky Hanley Diane Slovinsky Hanley on Nov 09, 2014
    Sonja, i am afraid of the cost. Have you priced them yet?
  • Duv310660 Duv310660 on Nov 09, 2014
    It's UV that fades furnishings and art. UV filtering glass is available for framing, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a film that does the same on your windows. Installing this will give you the time to work on your curtain-treatment dilemma; this is a subject of personal taste and priorities, and in the end only you will know what to choose!
  • Eloise Eloise on Nov 10, 2014
    Sheers (custom made) on tension rods, both top and bottom might work.
  • Susan Susan on Nov 12, 2014
    Have you thought about the frosted window covers?
  • Diane Slovinsky Hanley Diane Slovinsky Hanley on Nov 12, 2014
    Well i have been on several blind sights but they either do not do trapezoid or mine are too large to accomodate. I am afraid to try hunter douglas for the cost. I am now looking into the tinted film. This is frustrating. Thanx for all the advice.
    My Brother has the exact size windows and used Window tinting . It came out really nice.
  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 10, 2021

    Hello there,

    Have Blinds made to fit, or Use a tinted film on them, or a frame with a sheer curtain fixed to it

  • Window film is the perfect solution for this.

  • Em Em on Aug 04, 2021

    You can use spray paint that is frosted for glass. Light comes in but the coating will help prevent sun damage.