Washing walls before re-painting them

+6
I'm repainting several rooms and some of them have gotten dirty from our oil heat or from candle smoke, etc. In the bathroom in particular, do I need to wash these walls (and with what?) before I repaint them? They were painted over 20 years ago and we had used latex paint. Thanks !!!
  • Yes Ideally you should clean them. Use TSP with warm water. This will clean and prep the walls for fresh paint. Candle smoke can make walls very dingy. Older candles are the worse as they not only create the soot, but many have lead in the wicks that can get into the air and can poison you over time. Be sure to only purchase candles that are lead wick free.
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Nov 09, 2014
    Amonia and water will work as well. What I do is use a sponge mop.
    • See 1 previous
    • Kelly S Kelly S on Nov 09, 2014
      @Louise We used a garden sprayer, bucket of clean water and 2 sponge mops. We sprayed the warm TSP solution on the wall, let is sit while we went on to the next wall. Used one mop to scrub the wall with and another mop and clean water to rinse it off. It took three people but the room was cleaned and ready for paint in less than an hour. My husband and I had used that method when we were fall cleaning our American Legion hall.
  • Connie Mautz-Wheeler Connie Mautz-Wheeler on Nov 09, 2014
    Thank you both !
  • Judy Judy on Nov 09, 2014
    What is TSP please?
  • Connie Mautz-Wheeler Connie Mautz-Wheeler on Nov 10, 2014
    Yes, please .. what do you mean by TSP? I think I know but I'd like to be sure.
  • Adrianne C Adrianne C on Nov 10, 2014
    Tri Sodium Phosphate
    Thank you !!