Asked on Dec 23, 2014

I have a white, hazy spot (caused from heat ) on my veneer table

JHAnitaDenise Binette Jorgenson
+32

Can this be removed?
  • Tegma
    Tegma

I had a large heat spot on my good dining room table, and for years, covered it with a mirror runner since it was in the center from a serving bowl. Well, I read on Pinterest what various people suggested, and while some didn't work, this did! Just take a heat gun (if you craft) or a hair dryer, and holding it close to the mark, heating it for about 30 seconds or so, before moving on. I kid you not, the mark will disappear! I got rid of mine after 8 years of living with it, just by using my heat gun. You'll see it start to vanish right before your eyes as you move along the ring. What happens is, the moisture which is trapped under the veneer from the hot plate or whatever, is dried up as you use the heat on it. Happy holidays!

• Paula Noga
    Paula Noga

Yes, but not with Amish Furniture Cleaner. I had th same problem on my husband's grandmother's library table. It Isn't the wood that is damaged; it's the wax buildup from furniture polish. Clean the table with something you feel safe using on the wood, then try using lemon or even olive oil, and a lot of elbow grease. I personally used walnut oil.

• Mary Ned Foster
      Mary Ned Foster

I spread a tablespoon of mayonnaise over/on a white circle on my antique walnut stained table a few hours ago. Just removed it with a cloth and the white circle from a hot coffee cup IS GONE!
      mn
      arkansas
  • Karyl Conard
    Karyl Conard

White spots generally mean trapped water. Try a little mineral spirits on a soft white cloth. Gently wipe. Leave for a few minutes. Try again if need be.

• Karyl Conard
      Karyl Conard

Yes, it might, although for my project it didn't. I used a very tiny amount and just wiped it across. This allowed the moisture to escape. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion less taxing for the finish.

• Wanda.ll
    Wanda.ll

http://www.happyhandyman.com/product-p/jb.htm Check here he tells you how to fix the problems you have around the house.

• Susan
    Susan

Just set your iron on dry heat (no steam) and place a tea towel over the spot and iron it out. Just place iron on towel for a few seconds and keep doing til spot is gone, has always worked for me!

• Pamela Langone
    Pamela Langone

Use Some Murphys furniture soap if that doesn't help try and very fine steel wool over the whole area then use the soap

• Louann Poddig
    Louann Poddig

I had one also. I made a paste of baking soda and water, used a white rag (an old baby diaper) and rubbed it into the spot, then wiped with a clean white cloth and it disppeared never to be seen again...Good luck!

• Launa Elaine Strickland
    Launa Elaine Strickland

I use 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with 1/4 cup of baking soda. I rubbed this mixture in to the white stain with a white cloth. Within a few minutes to a half an hour the stains are completely gone. This has worked for me on antiques as well as modern furniture. Good luck!

• Gigi Siglin
    Gigi Siglin

Had this problem from a hot pizza box on a wooden table..there is a product you can buy that will rub the spot out...it comes with a little cloth to use...can't remember the name but a hardward store or paint store would probably work...Also raw walnuts rubbed on the spot or mayo...I have heard different things will work...I did get the white spot out with the product I first mentioned.

• Jane Cashion
    Jane Cashion

I don't smoke but get cigarette ashes from a friend and keep them around in a baby food or mason jar. Mix this with a little bit of mayonaise...the real stuff...and make a paste. Put it on your spot and leave it. You can leave it for a couple of days if need be. Wipe off and polish up your table top. It works really well!

• Sherrie
    Sherrie

I had a table that had several and also used heat as Patrica Morse suggested. But I used a iron and fluffy white towel instead of a blow dryer or heat gun which would have been easier to use.

• Dorothy B. Kofoed
    Dorothy B. Kofoed

The dryer idea didn't work on the white stain. I'll try other suggestions

• Tegma
    Tegma

If this is a good table, I would not use mineral spirits or anything like that. I've heard that it sometimes ruins the table. Again, use a heat gun and you will see it disappear in nothing flat. My table is an expensive dining room table, and it worked after 8 years of trying every suggestion out there. I did the iron and towel method.... nothing! I tried mineral spirits.... it made it worse. I used every idea available on Pinterest and nothing worked until I used the heat gun. Again, this is an expensive table with a design inlaid in it. And yes, it worked. There is not a speck of the white spot left!

• Tegma
    Tegma

I'm so glad it worked! As I said, it worked for me after having had the white haze for some 8 years or more. I will always advise this method over any other as it's the only thing that worked. I tried it all, but this was it! I'm glad it was the right thing for you, too.

• Ann street
    Ann street

I use white cloth and an iron and spot went away.

• S2j2578614
    S2j2578614

I accidentally placed a hot iron on a dresser . I tried the hair dryer method to remove the huge white spot and unbelievably it worked like a charm. Thank you so much!
  • Lisa S.
    Lisa S.

Restore-A-Finish. About $9.00 can.
  • Lorraine
    Lorraine

thank you iron and white towel worked on two spots !!!!
  • Theresabelli
    Theresabelli

Iron worked like a charm in under 2 minutes ... dry towel, medium heat, steam on
  • Lisa
    Lisa

Blow dryer worked perfectly on veneer table top for a heat stain from a hot dish ..

• Amanda Kelly
    Amanda Kelly

I actually caused a kind of white claudy mist to appear on a mahogany vaneer by ironing through a blanket onto the table. Anyone have a white claudy mist rather than rings and successfully removed?

• Corinna
    Corinna

i used the hair dryer and the big white spot is gone with no return. I have looked at that spot for 6 months. Days after purchasing my new table something too hot was set on the wood table that has shining finish. It took about 10 minutes but no damage to table and looks like new with nothing more than using the hair dryer. Thank you for this tip!

• Denise Binette Jorgenson
    Denise Binette Jorgenson

I had white stains on my veneered top coffee table, and WD-40 did the trick. Rub it in, wipe it off, and cover with Pledge, looks like new!

• Anita
    Anita

I used a hair dryer and it worked but was going to slow so I got my heat gun out and it went way faster. Afterward I rubbed some old English on. Thanks for the tips!

• JH
    JH

THIS WAS AMAZING OMG!!!! Thank you!!!!!! It was like watching magic!!!!! I usually never comment on things but I am so amazed that I had to. I placed a hot bowl on my standing desk - it's laminate - and was so sad. But this fixed it in SECONDS!!!! AHH!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!