Organizing my coat closet

+10
Coming in from my attached garage I have a closet with coats, shoes, etc. I would like to organize the coats, shoes, gloves, hats, and junk neatly. Thought of a bench, hooks, and slots for shoes and gloves but then the bi-folds would come off. Like the idea but would it look okay, cheapen the looks. If I did that, would always have to be VERY NEAT. Have any ideas. Closet is 79 x 23 deep. Thanks
  • @Connie Twardize ...Theres always the option of a sliding ' barn door' , those are do- able and look nice. Or how about beautiful medium weight curtains, to hide all the ' stuff' ? Just a few suggestions for replacing your bi fold doors,( which would be in the way most. likely.) and have a solution that is not extremely expensive.
  • Caroline Caroline on Feb 10, 2015
    I had the same problem in my home. No mud room but very needed. My small coat closet was a waste of space but I knew I could transform it some way. I found some ideas on Pinterest specifically for small closets. I made half the closet shelving from top to midway to the bottom. On the shelves are bins to hold junk. Midway down, I kept the shelves out and hung several hooks along the sides and back to hold backpacks, jackets, bags, etc. Underneath that, I threw in a plastic laundry basket to hold shoes, boots since I knew the kids wouldn't put them away neatly anyway.The right side has a rod for hanging coats (although very short to fit the space). And some shelves to hold adult shoes. I put hooks on any and all available space. And I was able to keep the folding door on to cover the chaos.
  • Annette W. Annette W. on Feb 11, 2015
    We've done two things to help us. We installed a place for coats on a tiny wall that was dead space. And we used a small coat closet (not by the garage entrance) and used bins to organize shoes. It works for us. I blogged about both if you are interested. http://www.thissimplehome.com/2015/02/small-space-mudroom-alternative.html http://www.thissimplehome.com/2013/11/small-coat-closet-organization.html
  • Fab and Pretty Fab and Pretty on Feb 11, 2015
    79 is a pretty good size! I wouldn't remove the doors but that's just my opinion from the experience of once having the bench/hooks. It would look neat for about 5 minutes after I tidy'd it! Photo's of such a set up always look great but have minimal items and colours for the photo display. I'm going to use another home talk posters idea for gloves, toques etc and buy a pocket shoe organizer to lay and hang flat on the back wall. ( I posted my cable strap idea on my profile if you're interested in how to attach such a thing) For shoes and boots shelves seem to work best for 23" deep. If you still like the idea of hooks due to the ease of how they work, I have a hook system on the rod of my garage entrance closet. Again... posted under my profile. As for hats try to use a portion of the top shelf so they don't get munched!
  • Nancy Bowen Nancy Bowen on Feb 11, 2015
    shelves, hooks & pretty baskets. be firm, no tools or junk. only to be used for coats, choes & bookbags. everyone gets a shelf & basket.
  • Connie Fox Connie Fox on Feb 13, 2015
    A lingerie chest works great in the foyer, along with a closet for coats and other bulky items. Drawers are shallow and ideal for smaller items that might otherwise get lost. If you have room, you could even put the chest in the closet.
  • Organized 31 Organized 31 on Feb 13, 2015
    We're considering the same challenge. We're looking at putting cabinetry in the closet and adding trim to make it look built in.
  • Connie Fox Connie Fox on Feb 14, 2015
    Third spot: I also put a small wall in the kitchen hallway to work by installing a stained-wood strip with sturdy hooks--a real step-saver when I'm on the run.
  • Connie Twardize Connie Twardize on Feb 18, 2015
    Thanks everyone. Not sure what to do yet