Can I get rid of this in my closet?

+5

my walking closet is above stairs to the basement and it has big box due to that taking half of the space. Can I do something to it or get rid of it someway?

q can i get rid of this
  • Take it out if it does not suit you. Then you will have more floor space and room to hang longer clothing items. That looks like an awesome closet! I would die to have such a huge storage space like that.

• William William on Mar 18, 2019

Any chance that box allows for headroom for the stairs going down to the basement? May not be removed. If it is you may be able to make it smaller and still have the headroom. If there is no reason it is there then remove it.

• See 1 previous
    • Sandi Sandi on Mar 19, 2019

I don’t think you can remove be and still have headroom going down your stairs!!

• Robyn Garner Robyn Garner on Mar 18, 2019

Have you looked to see what's inside the boxes? No way to tell you if it can be removed without looking inside. I doubt that it's structural but meanwhile, find the easiest thing you can pry off or unscrew to look inside. I'd guess that pulling off the brown trim boards to get at what's under the carpet would be the place to start. Go from there.

• William William on Mar 18, 2019

It could larger than the needed headroom. Robyn has the right idea. Getting into the box is the only way to find out. If it's hard to remove any part of it you can cut a small inspection hole and see if anything can be done. You may be able to make it smaller without compromising the headroom.

• Phaedra Phaedra on Mar 18, 2019

My guess is its for head room too. You cant take it out completely but you could make it more functional. I would rebuild it to match the slope of the stairs. Then I would add shelving and use it for shoe shelfs etc. Maybe use open baskets on the upper deeper shelves for "drawers".