How to construct a wall to stop water?


I have a stream beside my house. Recently water got up over the banks and may have gotten under my house. What kind of wall to build to prevent this?

  9 answers
  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Oct 08, 2018

    Water will always find the lowest spot. It would probably be more effective and cheaper in the long run just to regrade your yard.

    • Nancy T. Nancy T. on Oct 08, 2018

      Regrading would put the dirt up onto my concrete block foundation. Is that a problem?

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 08, 2018

    Hi Nancy, I would get intouch with the people that own the stream and tell them of your concerns, because you may have a claim against them for allowing it to happen! This could be a legal matter and it might be worth asking your Solicitor to check it out for you.

    wishing you luck.

    • Nancy T. Nancy T. on Oct 08, 2018

      It is only a wet weather stream & goes by several other homes. It is just run off water.

  • Jan Jan on Oct 08, 2018

    Put in a french drain, before it hits your house.

  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Oct 08, 2018

    I see your problem is much larger, then your question States. From your previous statement, it sounds like the developer of your neighborhood should be involved. Obviously, he did not anticipate the amount of water that caused your problem. It is worth noting, that possibly there is an obstruction Downstream that is causing the water not to flow appropriately.

    • Nancy T. Nancy T. on Oct 08, 2018

      The development is not a subdivision. The homes are at least 10 years old. I have already checked to see if there is an obstruction & there is not. The house has never flooded but recently unusually heavy rains put the water over the bank near my house. There is probably only 4-5 feet between my house and the ditch bank.

  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Oct 08, 2018

    You have potentially a large problem. You do not state if this ditch is on your property nor who owns the ditch property. Do you belong to a neighbor Hood association?

    I think it would be prudent to gather as much information as possible and document everything. As stated in the previous comments there could be legal ramifications. Best of luck.

    • Nancy T. Nancy T. on Oct 08, 2018

      To the middle of the ditch is my property & the city owns the part of the ditch that goes by the front of my house. There is no neighborhood association. The houses were built by individuals one at a time.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 08, 2018

    Hi Nancy, Have you asked your neighbours if they had this problem and if they did, did they contact the City Council to inform them what has happened? Did they

    get any advice, If not, I would certainly contact them myself and report your concerns!

    • Nancy T. Nancy T. on Oct 09, 2018

      None of the neighbors have this problem. Mine is the only house that close to the ditch. Most of the others are at least a half of a football field away. I may try to contact the City Council, but I really wanted just to build a retaining wall and get it taken care of quickly. The dangerous area is only about 6 ft. long.

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Oct 09, 2018

    Hello again Nancy, If you just go ahead and build a wall the force of the water if it floods again could bring down your wall and if you only build it for the 6' you say is a problem, the water will find it's own way around it. By all means call in a builder or preferably an engineer and ask for their opinion on solving the problem and the likely cost to remedy it! Please do get intouch with your Local Authority as they may solve the problem for you, or meet you halfway with the costs................Best wishes.

    • Nancy T. Nancy T. on Oct 09, 2018

      Surely there is some kind of wall that will catch the overflow??? How do levees work? Sea walls? Does anybody have an idea?

  • Chris Gignac Chris Gignac on Oct 10, 2018

    You need to call an expert. Obviously, your situation requires someone on site who can properly evaluate your issue.

  • 2dogal 2dogal on Oct 10, 2018

    Rather than a wall, deepen the stream or dig a swale to divert the water.