How can I clean burnt odors from a scorched microwave?


I scorched my microwave and it has a light brown stain about 2inches wide. I used everything from the internet but it still smells burnt and stain is there. It’s 2 years old. Thx

  4 answers
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Nov 01, 2019
    I did the same thing, and it took several scrubbings to get it clean. I had to clean every nook and vent with my favorite cleaners multiple times. I have washable filters because mine is mounted above the stove and they needed a lot of scrubbing. I wiped it down first with a microfiber cloth and soapy water. I then filled a measuring cup with fresh water, a slice of lemon, and ran it for five minutes. Then, I scrubbed the whole thing down again. It took multiple cleanings, but, I finally got it clean. BUT I could still smell that smell. It finally dawned on me to change the filter on my HVAC system f for the house, wipe down my kitchen cabinets, etc. Lesson learned I hope. Use clean water and scrubbers each time. Everything absorbed that smell.

    • Debra Debra on Nov 02, 2019

      I have done the lemon, vinegar, acetone nail remover, soda, even tried cling bleach. I'll do the vinegar longer. We've been using my backup microwave . Thx for your help😊

  • Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Nov 01, 2019

    Hello Debra,

    How did you pay for it? Maybe you can get it replaced as accidental damage. Insurance or Credit Card etc...... If it is the outside of the microwave cabinet and neither of the above ideas are any good, Maybe try covering the spot with a Stick on tile???????? If you can't hide it, make it a feature!!

    • See 1 previous
    • Debra Debra on Nov 02, 2019

      Thx for your suggestions😊

  • Cheryl A Cheryl A on Nov 01, 2019

    to get the odor out try putting a microwaveable cup or bowl with 1/2 c white vinegar in it and microwave for 35 seconds let it cool and do it a couple more times to get the odor out

  • Debra Debra on Nov 02, 2019

    I've done this 3 times but I'll do it longer. I really want to leave it open but then the light will probably go out😳 Thx for all your help😊