How to clean a shower curtain?

+9

• Karen Pullen Karen Pullen on Jan 04, 2019

I put my shower curtains (check the manufacturer's tag to ensure it's safe) in the washer with towels and rags and run through a normal cycle with my regular detergent. Comes out great and I hang it to dry. My shower curtain is a combination of material and plastic liner from Hookless.

• GrandmasHouseDIY GrandmasHouseDIY on Jan 04, 2019

Hi Silvia, toss it in your clothes washing machine and set the water on cold. Use your regular laundry detergent. Don't dry it, simply take it out of your machine and hang it back up in your shower. It will come out sparkling!

• Plastic, fabric, it doesn't matter. Toss in the washing machine with just a few drops of detergent, a cup of vinegar in the wash and rinse cup, a couple heaping table spoons of baking soda and no fabric softener. If plastic, hang up right out of the washer. Use a hair dryer to smooth out if necessary. I hang my fabric shower curtains up right out of the washer. Some toss in the dryer first. Your choice.

• Mitzie Pikert Mitzie Pikert on May 13, 2017
    i put mine in the washer with a towel or 2 and wash its good every time

• Rickie Broadfoot Rickie Broadfoot on May 13, 2017
    Depends on what kind it is. If it's cloth just throw it in the washer with towels to do the scrubbing for you. If it has mildew add a little bleach to the detergent. If it's plastic throw it in the washer with white towels and use normal amount of detergent and bleach. Take a plastic curtain out and place in the dryer long enough to soften and hang right away. Like new.

• Vljefferson Vljefferson on May 14, 2017
    Put it in the washing machine, add about half a cup of vinegar and laundry detergent. Wash on full cycle and air dry.

• Karen Karen on Sep 18, 2019

Soak it in hot bleach water in your washer. Then put on spin and rinse and take out quickly and pop into dryer for 3 minutes. Take out and shake, shake outward. Hang on rings immediately or it will wrinkle. The shaking cools the plastic!

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Jun 07, 2019

Throw it in the washing machine with towels.

I use a spray cleaner with hydrogen peroxide, spritzing after each shower and making sure to leave open to prevent build up.

• Catherine Anspaugh Catherine Anspaugh on Oct 20, 2017
    I suggest soaking it in hot water and Oxi Clean according to package directions. Then wash.

• Jewellmartin Jewellmartin on Nov 23, 2018

You can wash both plastic and fabric shower curtains in a washing machine. Use your usual detergent plus 1/2 cup of white vinegar. This will get both dirt and soap out of the curtain, as well as bacteria. If you need to wash it in the tub, put 1/8 cup of detergent, 1/2 cup of vinegar, and about a pint of warm water in a spray bottle. While the curtain is hanging up, spray both sides, from the top to the bottom. Let it soak a few minutes, then rinse the curtain using the sprayer from the shower. Rinse as thoroughly as you possibly can. Let it dry in the tub while hanging, where the curtain was washed in the machine or in the shower. Enjoy your clean shower curtains. And remember, fabric outside of the tub, the plastic liner ($1 at discount stores) inside the tub at all times. Best wishes! ☺️

• Laurie Laurie on Feb 15, 2019

After cleaning and after each shower use Shower Clean. Its in a spray bottle and I get mine at Wal-Mart. Really keeps the shower curtain clean!

• Sandie60 Sandie60 on Feb 15, 2019

I put mine it washing machine. Run as normal. Add vinegar to the rinse cycle. Hang back up to dry.