How can I clean dog urine odors out of carpet?

+4
  • Cynthia H Cynthia H on Oct 02, 2019

Use an enzyme product first like Kids"N"Pets.

• Lifestyles Homes Lifestyles Homes on Oct 02, 2019

Nature’s Miracle, live enzymes that eat the urine. Saturate the carpet, keep wet for 48 hours. Shop vac out & see if it’s wicking up from the pad. Retreat if necessary.

• Betsy Betsy on Oct 02, 2019

Hi Denise: I have used a product called Odormute. Pet Supplies Plus used to carry it, but I'm not sure now. You can get it online. You need a product that will change the chemical properties of the urine, or an enzyme eater. Also, Odormute will clean the spot. I have used it for years and have not been disappointed. Even on cat pee stains that were over 16 years old under a carpet, through the padding, in a corner and onto the wooden floor. Never knew the cats were using that area:( AC takes care of a lot of smells. Also cleaned and whitened my son's baseball pants. The cats peed on them and I found out a year later (they were in a box) and the pants came out white and stink free. The stuff seems expensive, but you just use a little bit. It's environmentally safe, you can use it on your pet for skunk smells, and it's made in the USA! Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck with whatever you use.

• Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! Toni @ Girl, Just DIY! on Oct 02, 2019

When we had our dogs we swore by this stuff. It's the best on the market! It even ate up rank fish smell after a fishing cooler leaked onto the carpet in the back of my SUV.

• Kathy Gunter Law Kathy Gunter Law on Oct 02, 2019

You need an enzymatic cleaner.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on Jul 09, 2020

Hi Denise, so sorry to hear that. It's a common problem. Mix ¼ cup of baking soda with 1 cup water, 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar, and about 1/4 cup of mild dish soap. Put the solution in a spray bottle a mix thoroughly before spraying it on the stain. Rub it in lightly with a clean cloth and let it stand for about 20 minutes. Rinse the solution away with a damp cloth and let it dry thoroughly. Be sure to test the mixture first on a spot to make sure it won’t discolor or damage your carpet.