Clean carpet from pet urine?

+9
  • Kelli L. Milligan Kelli L. Milligan on May 02, 2020

Wall to wall carpet is impossible to totally clean pet urine out since it has gone into pad. The best you can do is rent a carpet shampooer and treat the area with products like Nature's Miracle or other ones that helps kill the urine enzymes. Be sure to thoroughly rinse several times with cool clean water- no soap or heat. If an area rug send it out to be cleaned so it can be flushed out front and back and replace the pad. Unfortunately pets will tend to still go back to same area even after cleaned. Good luck.

• Michelle Leslie Michelle Leslie on May 02, 2020

Hi Vicki, here's a great tutorial that will help you get the urine out of your carpets - https://spotremoval.coit.com/how-to-remove-urine-from-carpet

• K. Rupp K. Rupp on May 02, 2020

Use a rug doctor! You can rent them at the grocery store. Or buy a Bissell carpet cleaner. They work great to clean your carpet!!

• Redcatcec Redcatcec on May 02, 2020

You will need to get and enzyme cleaner from the pet store and follow this treatment:

https://www.wikihow.life/Remove-Pet-Urine-from-Carpet

• Craft Invaders Craft Invaders on May 02, 2020

This post might help

https://www.hometalk.com/diy/clean/carpet/how-to-remove-pet-urine-stains-43843595

• Vimarhonor Vimarhonor on May 02, 2020

Hello for spot cleaning we always use those commercially spray on Oxsee pet formulations at the grocery store. For deep cleaning we use a rug doctor. We like the rug doctor so much we purchased our own rug doctor machine at Costco.

• Betsy Betsy on May 02, 2020

Hi Vicki: I have used a product called Odormute. Pet Supplies Plus used to carry it, but I'm not sure now. You can get it online. You need a product that will change the chemical properties of the urine, or an enzyme eater. Also, Odormute will clean the spot. I have used it for years and have not been disappointed. Even on cat pee stains that were over 16 years old under a carpet, through the padding, in a corner and onto the wooden floor. Never knew the cats were using that area:( AC takes care of a lot of smells. Also cleaned and whitened my son's baseball pants. The cats peed on them and I found out a year later (they were in a box) and the pants came out white and stink free. The stuff seems expensive, but you just use a little bit. It's environmentally safe, you can use it on your pet for skunk smells, and it's made in the USA! Doesn't get any better than that. Good luck with whatever you use.

• Janice Janice on May 03, 2020

There are many enzyme products on the market pet owners swear by. Maybe try one of those. I find that using white vinegar in my shampoo machine keeps all types of odors in check. I know vinegar smells but it quicky dissapates within a half-hour or so.

• Cindy Cindy on May 04, 2020

Hi Vicki. Mix together one-quarter cup of hydrogen peroxide, a half-cup baking soda, and one teaspoon of liquid dish soap. Apply it on the pet stains. A spritz bottle is the best application. Let this solution set for a half hour and then wipe it all up with paper towels. Good luck Vicki. Stay well.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on May 07, 2020

HELLO VICKI,

Steam clean, 1001, Vanish for carpets. If still wet, lay kitchen paper over and apply weight to draw out moisture. Use Shake and Vac to bring the freshness back!