How can I get rid of a musty smell in a finished basement?

+10

I would like to know how to get rid of a musty smell in basement. My elderly father lives in the house and does not use the space because of the smell.

• Red28080156 Red28080156 on Dec 11, 2017
      Thanks for your help. I’m getting great suggestions and may end up trying them all!

• Greene34 Greene34 on Dec 11, 2017
    I had the same problem but found that keeping a fan on all the time has remedied the musty smell issue. I deodorized the carpets then put a small window fan on a shelf. You can also use a floor fan or 'tornado fan', anything to keep the air circulating which is important. In addition, I use a dehumidifier during the summer. I've used every odor control product with little success but the keeping a fan on is what worked for me. Good luck.

• Coach77cfc Coach77cfc on Dec 11, 2017
    bicarbonate soda works put in cups or jars open top it absorbs the smell worked for me in my car when someone was sick

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Dec 11, 2017
    Use a dehumidifier and place buckets of damp rid

Thank you so much! I was hoping I didn’t have to rip out the carpet. I’ll give these ideas a try first.

• Joanne Joanne on Dec 28, 2017
      We use a dehumidifier in our basement it works very well. the new ones have different levels of keeping out the dampness automatically. Without it the Oder can linger to the main level of the house.

either store sells that

• Debbie Debbie on Dec 11, 2017
    Since baking soda absorbs dampness and odors, I sprinkle it all over the carpet and let stand a while (doesn't matter how long) while doing something else. Then come back and vacuum the baking soda up. Now, to make it even better I add some essential oils to the baking soda and it also leaves a nice smell. I like citrus ones myself like a blend of lemon, orange, lime, or even grapefruit. My favorite is just lemon grass alone. It smells like you just polished the furniture. LOL If you don't want to add it to the baking soda then just use the soda alone and add a couple drops of the essential oil to a cotton ball in your vacuum cleaner. It will exhaust the nice smell in the room as you vacuum.

• Elaine Elaine on Dec 12, 2017
    I assume you live in the USA, however, if you live in Canada, Lee Valley sell a great product intended for just this purpose. I can’t remember what it is called but it’s a mesh bag (holding some type of small rocks) that one hangs in the basement or closet or wherever the odor is. Occasionally, the bag is rinsed then placed outside in the sunshine to “regenerate” it. Perhaps, Lee Valley ship to the USA, if so, I highly recommend it. I had one then passed it on to a relative when I moved into a condo. Go online, type in: LeeValley.ca and see what pops up. Their store is simply amazing, having so many items for life’s small problems such as this. Good luck!